Carbonatix Pre-Player Loader

Audio By Carbonatix

The National Service Authority says it has received GH¢40 million from the government to begin basic military training for National Service personnel.

The Director-General of the Authority, Ruth Dela Seddoh, announced the allocation at the inaugural National Youth Forum organised by the Ministry of Youth Development and Empowerment.

She said the funding had been provided by President John Dramani Mahama to support the implementation of the military training programme.

“His Excellency, the President, John Dramani Mahama, has given us 40 million Ghana cedis to begin the basic military training for National Service personnel.”

The programme is expected to equip National Service personnel with skills in discipline, resilience, and other areas of basic military training.

The announcement was made during a forum that brought together young people and institutions, including the Youth Employment Agency, National Service Authority, and National Entrepreneurship and Innovation Programme, to discuss challenges and opportunities for the youth.

The forum also saw calls for stronger financial support for young entrepreneurs.

Chief Executive Officer of the Ghana Chamber of Young Entrepreneurs, Sherif Ghali, called for the establishment of a National Youth Development Fund backed by legislation and financed through a dedicated percentage of national revenue.

“We are asking for a National Youth Development Fund, established by law, financed by a dedicated percentage of national revenue, paid directly into the fund, just like the District Assemblies Common Fund is done.”

Mr Ghali also cited the large turnout at a KFC promotional exercise on Saturday, August 15, as an indication of the economic pressures facing young people.

He urged the government to create more opportunities for young people to become economically independent.

“Let’s empower the young people to do well and so they will not disgrace the minister by fighting at KFC entrance.”

Young participants also called for improved access to information about government agencies and programmes that support entrepreneurship.

One participant urged authorities to educate young people, particularly university students, about available opportunities and institutions.

“We need to know the enterprises and the agencies within the entrepreneurship area, so that we can tap into those places and we will not just sit down and say that the government is not doing anything.”

The National Youth Forum is aimed at strengthening engagement between policymakers and young people while promoting interventions in employment, entrepreneurship, skills development, and economic empowerment.

The Ministry of Youth Development and Empowerment is also using the forum to promote its “Red Means Stop” campaign, which seeks to raise awareness about drug abuse and encourage young people to make healthier choices.

DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.