Audio By Carbonatix
The Covid-19 Response Team of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) has said the decision by government to lift the lockdown imposed on some parts of the country is premature.
The Team says the move goes against the criteria stipulated by the World Health Organisation (WHO) as necessary to the reversal of the restriction on movement in the fight against the novel coronavirus.
President Akufo-Addo on April 19, 2020, said the three-week imposition which affected Greater Accra and Kumasi, as well as Tema and Kasoa, has achieved its objectives.
The aims, he said, among which was the need to scale up tracing and testing people who may have come into contact with those who had already tested positive.
The President reiterated that the decision was backed by data adding the ban on social gathering and enforcement of social distancing protocols and closure if the country’s borders remain in place.
But in a statement signed by Prosper Bani, the NDC Covid-19 Response Team believes development is “dangerous and would most likely result in a significant escalation in the numbers of cases beyond the 1048 we presently have, as stated by government.”
The April 20 communique highlighted that “the virus is not yet under adequate control in Ghana to merit any ease of restrictions on movement at this time.”
The NDC Team also requested that the data which necessitated the lifting of the lockdown must be made public in order not to create a "false sense of security among Ghanaians.”
“Until that information is available, we encourage Ghanaians to avoid a false sense of security and continue to stay at home as much as possible, avoid non-essential movement and respect all health protocols outlined from the onset,” the statement read.
Latest Stories
-
OLAG crowned winners of ACE Spoken Word Contest
5 minutes -
Medical and Dental Council worried over growing misconduct complaints against health professionals
10 minutes -
Mahama cut sod for construction of 24-hour economy market in Bole
23 minutes -
UNFPA and partners triple fistula repairs but Ghana needs 2,249 a year to meet 2030 target
27 minutes -
Eastern Regional Fire Commander rallies officers to meet 2026 fire safety targets
32 minutes -
Bosomtwe STEM Girls SHS team returns to rousing welcome after World Robofest Championship feat
38 minutes -
Amin Adam warns against politicising banking regulation after GN Savings ruling
1 hour -
GN Savings ruling poses fiscal and financial-stability risks – Amin Adam
1 hour -
Amin Adam calls on BoG and Finance Ministry to explain implications of GN Savings ruling
2 hours -
Restoring GN Savings and Loans will be difficult after years of asset disposal — Dr Kweku Ndoum
2 hours -
Misrepresentation of GN Bank’s financial position led to collapse – Dr Kweku Nduom
2 hours -
Collapse of GN Bank led to loss of over 4,500 jobs — Dr Kweku Ndoum
2 hours -
Arrest and denial of bail being used to intimidate opposition voices — Egyapa Mercer
2 hours -
GN Savings & Loans: Banking sector clean-up could’ve been managed better – Bobby Banson
2 hours -
National Chief Imam urges Ghanaian pilgrims to uphold discipline and unity ahead of 2026 Hajj
2 hours