Audio By Carbonatix
The National Democratic Congress (NDC) has blamed the Electoral Commission (EC) for their inability to file the nomination at 11:00 am on Wednesday morning as planned.
The NDC said the decision by the EC to use a provisional register for the filing process instead of a certified one accounted for the delay of nomination submission.
The Electoral Commission, however, debunked the claims that the Commission was to blame for the errors detected in the Identity Cards and on the forms because all the minor errors were corrected and the political parties were notified in writing 10 days before the filing of nomination.
The General Secretary of the NDC, Mr Johnson Asiedu Nketia, after presenting the nomination forms said: “If the EC had used the old voters register the party wouldn’t have faced the situation where the EC detected mistakes and recall the identity cards of some voters who had endorsed the forms for their presidential candidate.”
He blamed the flaws in the register on the hurried nature with which the EC conducted the compilation saying: “As at today that we are filing the nomination forms, the EC is displaying provisional register”.
He said the nomination forms contained mistakes and that the PNDC Law, which was quoted on the form, had been repealed.
Mr Asideu Nketia said the challenges the EC was facing had vindicated the NDC’s position that time was not on the side on the Commission to compile a new register.
“Is it not strange that a certified register that is critical for the filing of the nomination is not ready while the process of nomination is on-going?” he asked.
However, the Deputy Commissioner in Charge of Corporate Service, Dr Bossman Eric Asare, said it was misleading for the NDC to claim that the EC was using a repealed law, noting that C.I.127 mandated the EC to use a provisional register for the filing process.
He considered the accusation being leveled against the EC by the NDC strange, since the four other aspirants who had earlier filed their nomination, had not raise any issues with the process.
He reiterated the determination and resolve of the Commission to run a credible election based on integrity and transparency.
“I can assure all Ghanaians that the process and the conduct of the elections will be the best in the history of the country,” he added.
As the Deputy Commissioner was clarifying the issue to the NDC, the delegation staged a walkout, singing redemption songs.
Latest Stories
-
Promasidor Ghana unveils Onga Mix Tomato Paste, names Diana Hamilton brand ambassador
4 minutes -
‘You admitted the loss, now account for the GH¢22bn’ – Minority hits back at GoldBod CEO
5 minutes -
Gender Department raises alarm over rising teenage pregnancy in Ashanti Region
23 minutes -
GJA@77: Ethical journalism foundation for strong, resilient democracies – UK Deputy High Commissioner
27 minutes -
Police pickup carrying suspects crashes into trotro on KNUST campus, several injured
27 minutes -
AMA Mayor apologises to alleged extortion victim, orders refund
29 minutes -
Akwatia MP defends GoldBod, says IMF report didn’t blame it for losses
32 minutes -
Building community after a merger: What UniMAC’s concord initiative can teach higher education
32 minutes -
UN security official meets GoldBod CEO Sammy Gyamfi
37 minutes -
Two detained after French influencer’s scorched body found in vineyard
38 minutes -
ORAL has been reduced to a tool for political convenience – Kwesi Botchway Jnr
39 minutes -
6 in 10 businesses fail to properly account for VAT – GRA
40 minutes -
US retail giant receives $1bn boost from tariff refunds
47 minutes -
Angélique Kidjo makes history for Africa with star on Hollywood Walk of Fame
48 minutes -
Know when to wait, verify and publish – GJA President tells journalist
1 hour