The National Democratic Congress, NDC, is dreaming big – that a new banner and other campaign paraphernalia depicting images of its presidential candidate and the president-elect of the United States of America, will flap some good wind into its campaign sails.
Hours after the phenomenal election of Senator Barack Obama as the next President of the USA, the NDC hanged a large banner on top of its Kokomlemle Headquarters in Accra, showcasing a collage of smiling portraits each of Obama and Professor John Evans Atta Mills.
The banner titled “Better Leadership”, also carries messages like “A Change We Need”, “Obama nie, Atta Mills nie” and “Yeresesam”, themes that have dominated the NDC’s campaign for the 2008 general elections, and which were also central to the Obama cause in far away USA.
And the hanged banner soon turned out to be only a tip of many more ‘Change We Need’ NDC-branded paraphernalia, as a couple of party leaders emerged from the office clutching T-shirts bearing the same image and seemingly ready for a widespread distribution.
The NDC, known to bear traits with the USA’s Democratic Party, had harboured high hopes of and actually predicted, like many Ghanaians, an Obama victory, and seeing that historic feat come to pass on Thursday, November 4, 2008, are hoping that Sunday, December 7, 2008, when Ghanaians go to the polls will blow the same good wind their way.
The ruling New Patriotic Party, NPP, are also known to share so many features in common with the Republican Party of the USA that will be ceding power to Obama’s Democrats on January 20, 2009.
Such common traits include strongly rooted capitalist philosophies, party symbol of the elephant and colours.
Meanwhile the NPP, NDC and the People’s National Convention, have all sent congratulatory messages to Obama and the Democrats for the historic victory, while several individuals are planning celebration parties for the weekend.
Reggae musician and DJ, Blakk Rasta of Multimedia Broadcasting Group’s HITZ FM, who released an early hit in support of Obama’s campaign, says he plans a big feast of ‘vegetables and herbs’ for his celebration of a ‘monumental victory’. The Obama Party Victory is at the Aphrodisiac Nite Club in Accra at 10pm.
Story by Isaac Yeboah
- Social media reacts to KT Hammond’s criticism of youth who hooted at Akufo-Addo
- ‘I get only ¢47 as pension’ – Nkrumah’s bodyguard laments life after president’s death
- “Very frustrating” – Asamoah Gyan on Black Stars midfielders not passing to strikers
- Footage for Akufo-Addo’s tourism video was acquired legitimately from an agency – GTA on Kirani Ayat’s theft claims
- “We shall also be blessed with Ghana Miracle” – Finance Minister speaks on economy recovery
- You can’t lead Ghana with your coconut heads – KT Hammond to those who booed Akufo-Addo
- Finance Minister to announce 5-member committee as part of moves to protect financial system
- ‘They were cheering him’ – Okraku-Mantey on Akufo-Addo’s booing at Global Citizen Festival
- NDC dissociates itself from Akufo-Addo’s booing; says incident reflects mood of Ghanaians
- The art exhibition that took Christian rituals literally brutal
- Moussa Dadis Camara: Guinea’s ex-military ruler on trial over stadium massacre
- Ethiopia’s Tigray war: Satellite images capture troop build-up near Eritrea border
- Joining UN Global Compact a step on the right path to ensuring investor confidence – DBG CEO
- Araba Opoku inspires hope, beauty and satisfaction from struggle in Whispers Down The Lane exhibition
- Roselyn Felli receives two nominations at NCA Awards 2022
- ‘Ghana is the No.1 tourism destination in West Africa’ – Deputy Minister of Tourism, Arts & Culture
- Fitch downgrade unfortunate, further depresses our bonds on international market – Ofori-Atta
- DBG signs UN Global Compact, pledges to abide by 10 principles for sustainable business and governance
- UTAG, 3 other university labour unions threaten to go on strike on October 5
- Liberia rice shortage causes panic-buying
- GTA boss names agency in copyright feud with Kirani Ayat, reveals how footage was obtained
- Livestream: PM Express discusses Black Stars’ poor performance and preparations for World Cup
- 2022/23 betPawa PL: Asante Kotoko beat Nsoatreman in outstanding matchday 1 fixture
- Podcast: Are Black Stars ready for Qatar after friendlies against Brazil and Nicaragua?
- Ghana will transition from fossil fuel to renewable energy by 2070 – Bawumia