Audio By Carbonatix
Football teams could be fielding a fourth substitute during extra time in the future if FIFA’s law-making body, the International Football Association Board (IFAB), agrees to the proposal on Saturday.
The 126th IFAB meeting in London, will also debate the so-called “triple punishment” which is considered too severe for a player stopping a goalscoring opportunity as sanctions can include a penalty, a red card and a suspension.
Also to be considered is the future of goal-line technology and Islamic headscarves.
IFAB will hear a proposal that increasing the current quota from three to four substitutes over 120 minutes when matches go to extra time would help improve games and reduce injuries.
“The FIFA Task Force Football 2014, the medical committee and the football committee support the proposal in order to maintain the technical level until the 120th minute and to protect the health of the players,” FIFA said in a statement.
IFAB will also study trials of the five-referee system, using additional assistants beside each goal to help referees’ decision-making.
The board will also define exactly what action a referee should take if a dropped ball is kicked directly into goal after a stoppage.
IFAB, formed in 1886, pre-dates the foundation of FIFA by 18 years and is the game’s ultimate law-making body.
Changes usually take effect on July 1 ahead of the following season but can be implemented immediately as was the case last year when the board banned the use of snoods, a type of neck-warmer.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Galamsey destroying fish farms, threatening aquaculture – Fisheries Commission
3 minutes -
Adu-Boahene trial put on hold pending Supreme Court decision on legal vacation
11 minutes -
Toxic exposure from galamsey puts elderly at greater risk of kidney damage — Public health expert
35 minutes -
Big talk, small receipts: the politics of promises and policy
36 minutes -
Mahama says Ghana will reduce 70% medicine import dependence under five-year plan
39 minutes -
Study reveals high rate of uropathogens among Ghanaian elderly
41 minutes -
Christabel wins first Star Chef title as Big Chef Season 5 begins
41 minutes -
Tanker drivers begin three-day strike over alleged fuel measurement inaccuracies at BOST Kumasi
43 minutes -
Trump says US to reduce military drills with South Korea after it stayed out of Iran war
44 minutes -
Greater Manchester NDC UK branch elects new executives
45 minutes -
Ghana’s anti-corruption fight has stagnated— Transparency International
50 minutes -
UMB, ORC partner to make business registration easier for entrepreneurs
53 minutes -
Cedi is ‘long overdue for a refresh’ – Mahama
56 minutes -
GenCED urges NPP to extend 50% nomination fee reduction to women, youth and PWDs
1 hour -
The source of cedi appreciation matters more than the appreciation itself
1 hour