Audio By Carbonatix
New Zambia coach Moses Sichone will again be unable to take to the bench in charge of his team after being admitted to hospital for food poisoning, the country's FA said on Monday.
The former FC Cologne defender was named Zambia manager earlier this month, some six weeks before they compete at the Africa Cup of Nations finals in Morocco
He did not make it to the bench for his first match in charge after falling ill hours before his debut in a friendly against South Africa in Gqeberha on Saturday, and has not travelled to Angola for their next outing on Tuesday.
“Moses Sichone, midfielder Miguel Chaiwa and video analyst Elias Chipota have been admitted to hospital following their worsened condition that was aggravated by fever, diarrhoea and vomiting,” said a statement.
“The Football Association of Zambia is working closely with its host association and the local medical authorities to ensure that the affected receive the best possible medical attention.”
FAZ general secretary Machacha Shepande said others in the squad had also been affected but their condition had improved.
South Africa beat Zambia 3-1 after which the Zambian squad left for Angola where they play another friendly international in Luanda on Tuesday, with Perry Mutapa as acting coach.
Sichone was appointed after the departure of Avram Grant following a disappointing World Cup qualifying campaign that ended in October.
The 48-year-old Sichone competed in three Cup of Nations as a player from 1998-2002.
Zambia are in Group A at the Cup of Nations, which kicks off on December 21. They face Mali, Comoros and host Morocco in their opening three fixtures.
Latest Stories
-
Policy rate held at 14% as Middle East Crisis clouds inflation outlook – BoG Governor
2 minutes -
Police launch manhunt for suspect in Sekondi for alleged defilement
6 minutes -
Arrests must continue until misconduct ceases – David Vondee
15 minutes -
WFP and partners assess impact of US-funded school feeding programme
45 minutes -
Lastec Auto Centre: The man who sold his Mercedes to build a garage brand in Accra
54 minutes -
Ghanaian start-ups can unlock €100K in non-dilutive funding + scaling support via develoPPP Ventures
1 hour -
Today’s Front pages: Thursday, May 21, 2026
1 hour -
UG Professor wins international lifetime achievement award for work on neglected tropical diseases
2 hours -
Prophet John Anokye urges Christians to combine faith with financial wisdom
2 hours -
Minister Sam George inspects ‘One Million Coders’ centres in Greater Accra
2 hours -
Legacy Expo 2026 set to mark a decade of impact in Africa’s beauty & wellness industry
2 hours -
Major shake-up begins to make Ghana.gov simpler for citizens
2 hours -
Ghana Immigration Service trains officers ahead of nationwide e-visa rollout
3 hours -
Trade Ministry prepares for US Chamber of Commerce Trade Mission
3 hours -
We have all seen it – Kwakye Ofosu confirms early race to replace Mahama
3 hours