A visitor to a South African national park captured video of the moment an adult lion attacked a car in an apparent attempt to impress its intended mate.
Mark Williams-Wynn, 29, whose video was posted to YouTube by Kruger Sightings, said he was driving on the H12, near Skukuza in Kruger National Park, when he came upon some vehicles watching a male and female lion in the road.
He said the lion repeatedly attempted to mate with the lioness, but was rebuffed with a "fierce growl" each time.
"After the umpteenth attempt, all of a sudden, he walked away from her and started staring at the occupants of the closest car," Williams-Wynn wrote.
He said he quickly got out his video camera to capture what happened next.
"Luckily I started the camera rolling, as, quick as a flash, he had attacked the car and turned back to the female, as if to say, 'Look how brave I am.' There was nothing that the occupants of the vehicle had done wrong, and luckily they had their windows up, as it could have otherwise ended in disaster. They just happened to be the closest vehicle to the lion when he lost his mind. The shaken tourists in the vehicle drove off shaken but unharmed."
Williams-Wynn said the action calmed down for a time, but the lion eventually set his sights on another vehicle -- an open-top safari vehicle.
"Thankfully the game guide driving this vehicle had lightning reflexes. As soon as the lion locked eyes with him, he started the vehicle and was already moving when the lion attacked," he wrote.
He said the driver likely saved some lives by fleeing the second attack, which Williams-Wynn did not catch on video.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- People going mad for Emirates’ ‘diamond covered’ plane
- Masterclass modeling event slated for Dec 22
- IMANI: On Drones, GHS boss, Dr. Nsiah-Asare is very Confused
- Kwaku Azar wants Audit Service Board scrapped
- NR security moves to calm tension in Dagbon
- Tremor in Accra: Fault lines active, prepare for earthquakes- Geological Service warns
- MAXMASS donates furniture to Tarkwa Senior High School
- Afrobarometer leaders receive Distinguished Africanist awards
- Drone Saga: Health Service boss discredits IMANI figures
- Video: We are not buying drones; GHS boss hits back at Minority
- 6 Menzgold customers arrested over invasion, violence
- Atwima Kwanwoma Rural Bank support farmers in four districts
- Process&Plant, Chint donate solar plant to Ghana Institution of Engineering
- Alliance for Science pushes for passage of Plant Breeders Bill into law
- Two arrested for attempting to cast spell on Akufo-Addo