The 19-year-old barber who was convicted by a magistrate court in Koforidua for stealing plantain, has been released.
Solomon Aklotey was saved from serving the two-month jail term handed to him by the Koforidua District Magistrate Court “A” after he pleaded guilty to the crime.
He had been handed a ¢600 fine in default of which he would serve two months in prison with hard labour.
The release comes after host of Joy FM’s Newsfile, Samson Lardy Anyenini and his guests - North Tongu MP, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa; editor-in-chief of the New Crusading Guide Newspaper, Kweku Baako; private legal practitioner, Martin Kpebu and General Secretary of the Ghana Medical Association, Dr Justice Yankson – touched by the teenager’s plight, contributed ¢1,100 to free him.
The ¢600 fine has been paid to the court registry. All other processes have been satisfied, leading to his release from the Koforidua prison today.
Joy News' Eastern regional correspondent, who liaised with the prosecutor of the case, Chief Inspector, Solomon Richmond Keelson to secure Aklotey’s freedom, later presented the remaining amount of ¢500 to the family for the upkeep of his one-year-old child.
Efforts are also being made to get Aklotey a psychologist or counselor to help him overcome his problems.
His uncle, Alex Seth Nartey, on behalf of the family appreciated the intervention of the Newsfile team and appealed for support to set up a barbering shop for their son who said he had stolen the plantain so he could cater for his girlfriend and child.
A listener of Accra-based Peace FM also donated ¢600 for the upkeep of Aklotey and his family.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Newspaper headlines : Tuesday, July 16, 2019
- Gov’t to improve STEM education at JHS level with virtual labs
- Meet Ramos: The trending, handsome, pop star-looking goat
- Key member of Yaa Ansaa Family fighting Akwamuhene installation pledges support
- Top lesser known Safari parks in Africa
- Okoe Boye at the end of the road over ‘hopeless’ Lekma stretch
- Rawlings’ dispatch rider shot, suffers broken arm
- Video of chief allegedly slaughtering human is false - Police
- Krachi West supports 50 PWDs with start-up kits
- Registrar dragged to Special Prosecutor for allegedly awarding himself ȼ2m contract
- That's My Opinion: The People vs Nana Ansah Kwao IV
- Obinim fights GRA over ȼ769,000 unpaid taxes
- Assemblies of God begins 7-day fast for three kidnapped girls
- High court rescinds bail granted Gregory Afoko
- NaCCA to introduce shortcode to control ‘unapproved’ textbooks