The Nigerian drug enforcement agency says it has made what appears to be the biggest seizure of cocaine in the country’s history.
Some 1.8 tons of cocaine estimated to be worth more than $278m (£243m) were discovered in a warehouse in the Ikorodu area, north-east of the commercial hub, Lagos.
The drugs were stored in 10 travel bags and 13 drums, said the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA).
Four Nigerian men aged 69, 65, and two 53-year-olds were arrested in different parts of Lagos.
A foreign national was also detailed, in what the agency said was a “well coordinated and intelligence led operation” conducted over two days.
NDLEA says the men were planning to sell the drugs to buyers in Europe, Asia and other parts of the world.
The agency’s head, Brig Gen Mohamed Buba Marwa (Retd), praised his officers, who worked with their US counterparts in the operation.
“The bust is a historical blow to the drug cartels and a strong warning that they’ll all go down if they fail to realise that the game has changed,” a statement from the agency quoted him as saying.
- Premier League: Darwin Nunez helps fire Liverpool to win over West Ham
- One injured in gas station fire at Katamanso
- Premier League: Watkins winner piles more misery on 10-man Chelsea
- Premier League: Arsenal and Tottenham play out thrilling derby draw
- Playback: The Law discusses how to avoid contempt of court
- D-Black’s TV show, Uncut, hits the screens in November
- Leaked tape scandal: Supt. George Asare invites 3 witnesses to testify against IGP
- Radio Ada journalist on trial over publication of fake news about McDan is dead
- Kwame Dadzie: Our celebrities should stage ‘demo’ on creative arts matters too
- Tigst Assefa smashes world marathon record in Berlin, Eliud Kipchoge achieves record fifth win
- Ebenezer Owusu writes: Things are not the same anymore
- It’s difficult doing business in Ghana, 21.9% tax on hospitality businesses harsh – D-Black
- Prof. Stephen Adei partners Chirano Gold Mines to roll out Innovative Literacy Program for local communities
- Democracy comes with rights and responsibilities – Enam Akoetey chides #OccupyJulorbiHouse organisers
- Dr UN Award incredibly stupid; I can’t believe I fell for that nonsense – D-Black