Audio By Carbonatix
Nigeria's Defence Chief, General Lucky Irabor, said on Thursday that the military will not investigate a Reuters report that it ran a secret mass abortion programme because the report was not true.
Asked about the report, Irabor told reporters in Abuja that the military "will not investigate what you know is not true".
"I don't think I should waste my energy in such things," he said, speaking at a news conference addressing insurgency, terrorism, and banditry in the country.
Reuters reported on Wednesday that the Nigerian Army has run a secret, systematic and illegal abortion programme in the country's northeast since at least 2013.
The programme has involved terminating at least 10,000 pregnancies among women and girls, many of whom had been kidnapped and raped by Islamist militants, according to dozens of witness accounts and documentation reviewed by Reuters.
Irabor, who led the military in the northeast in 2016, a period covered in the report, said cases referred to in the report never occurred and that he never saw anything like that.
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
16 minutes -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
24 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Winneba Secondary School holds off Fijai SHS to reach one-eighth stage
33 minutes -
KNUST assures staff, public over statute review process amid UTAG concerns
42 minutes -
CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Dr Isaac Bampoe Addo passes on
44 minutes -
Take post-flood disinfection seriously to prevent disease outbreaks – Environmental Health Officer backs Zoomlion
56 minutes -
Zoomlion launches fumigation exercise across 14 MMDAs in Western Region
1 hour -
UTAG-KNUST votes to retain elections for Pro-Vice Chancellors and Deans
1 hour -
Newsfile to discuss nationwide blackouts, GoldBod controversy, galamsey and water quality
1 hour -
Adamus must settle GRA, MIIF and financial institutions liabilities under new turnaround roadmap
2 hours -
Big Chef Season Five returns with Gari Fotor Challenge this Sunday
2 hours -
Gov’t to form 6-member team to supervise Adamus mine turnaround
2 hours -
Wontumi is not Mandela, NPP must be realistic about chairmanship bid – Musa Danquah
2 hours -
Government gives Adamus Resources reprieve, orders 12-month turnaround plan
2 hours -
Road Ministry to report two people to EOCO for influencing property owners affected by road constructions
2 hours