Audio By Carbonatix
A private legal practitioner has questioned Parliament’s decision to leave out the directors of the defunct banks in their recent probe into the financial crisis.
Nii Arday Clegg argued that, the directors of the banks are well vest with information on whatever went on and would have the information that Parliament sought to unravel with their probe.
The Managing Partner at Nii Arday Clegg & Co., a corporate law firm stated that with that in mind Parliament had no business excluding the directors from the probe.
Related: Parliament to investigate collapse of 7 banks
“It’s hard to understand how any enquiry can be done without asking those who hold ultimate responsibility to come and talk about it,” he told Samson Lardy Anyenini on news analysis show, Newsfile Saturday.
The corporate lawyer added that Parliament’s exclusion of the directors from the probe is a practice that cannot be found anywhere.
“What you’ll get from the directors, carry more weight than what you’ll get from the rest of the entity,” he noted.
Mr Clegg also took a swipe at the Financial Committee of Parliament for sticking with an in-camera probe despite all the calls on the committee to make the three-day probe public.
The committee has, however, defended their stance; arguing that opening the probe to the public can cause the financial sector and the entire economy to collapse if the information that goes out is not properly managed.
“If care is not taken and an information goes out there and it is not managed well, before that comment which may be a lie could be withdrawn, the harm may be caused to the industry and if you collapse the finance sector the entire economy will collapse,” Bia MP, Richard Acheampong told Joy News.

Bia East MP, Richard Acheampong
But challenging this argument, Mr Clegg said keeping the information from the public would rather create problems since people would be left to speculate.
“When you leave [peoeple] to speculate, it leaves more problems for you…openness is what brings healing and closure,” he said.
Nii Arday’s arguments come after Parliament concluded its probe into the banking crisis that has left seven indigenous banks with a new title, defunct.
Capital bank and UT bank were taken over by state owned GCB bank in August 2017 after they ran into liquidity challenges.
A year later, five other banks have gone down, forcing the regulator; Bank of Ghana to merge them to form the Consolidated Bank Ghana.
Some of the banks are said to have obtained their licenses under false pretences while some officials of others are cited to have misappropriated depositors’ cash and bailouts from BoG.
Latest Stories
-
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
2 hours -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
2 hours -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
2 hours -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
2 hours -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
2 hours -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
3 hours -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
3 hours -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
3 hours -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
3 hours -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
4 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
4 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
4 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
4 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
4 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
4 hours