Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghanaian community in the UK remains largely unaffected by the ongoing protests, according to Ghana’s High Commissioner to the UK, Papa Owusu Ankomah.
This is after protests broke out late last month, after an anti-immigrant misinformation campaign stoked outrage following a stabbing attack that left three children dead in Southport, northern England.
The UK’s Crown Prosecution Service said on Tuesday that prosecutors have already charged around 100 people over the violent unrest.
The gatherings ostensibly started as anti-immigration marches and quickly turned disorderly and violent.
Speaking on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show, Mr Ankomah provided reassurances that no significant harm has come to Ghanaians amidst the unrest.
“Except for one incident where a Ghanaian reported being threatened while taking a bus, there have been no reports of any untoward incidents affecting Ghanaians in the UK,” the High Commissioner stated.
Meanwhile, the High Commissioner says efforts are being made to ensure the continued safety of the Ghanaian community.
“Even as of this morning, our officers are calling around the country, speaking with the leadership of the Ghanaian communities, asking for updates and urging them to encourage Ghanaians in the UK to try and be indoors by 7 pm,” he added.
Mr Ankomah noted that Ghanaians have been urged to stay indoors at night and avoid areas where protests are expected to occur.
Latest Stories
-
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
10 minutes -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
19 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
20 minutes -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
29 minutes -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
30 minutes -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
30 minutes -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
44 minutes -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
1 hour -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
1 hour -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
2 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
2 hours -
Two nationwide blackouts in a space of a month ‘cause for worry’ – Adomako-Mensah
2 hours -
Technical challenges affecting tax payments are being resolved—GRA
2 hours -
Ghana Premier League 2026/27: What to expect from the new season
2 hours -
Academic who accused Jason Arday of plagiarism suspended by university
2 hours