Audio By Carbonatix
North Korea has reported what it describes as the country's first suspected case of coronavirus.
State news agency KCNA said a person who defected to South Korea three years ago last week returned across the demarcation line had Covid-19 symptoms.
Leader Kim Jong-un held an emergency meeting with top officials, imposing a lockdown in the border city of Kaesong.
North Korea, a secretive state, had earlier said it had no Covid-19 cases - but analysts say this was unlikely.
"An emergency event happened in Kaesong city where a runaway who went to the south three years ago, a person who is suspected to have been infected with the vicious virus returned on 19 July after illegally crossing the demarcation line," KCNA said.
At Saturday's politburo meeting, Mr Kim ordered a "maximum emergency system" to contain the virus.
KCNA added that Mr Kim also launched an investigation into how the person had managed to cross the heavily fortified border, warning those responsible that "a severe punishment" would be administered.
At the same time, South Korea has not reported of any illegal crossings of the demilitarized border in recent days.
North Korea closed its borders and put thousands of people in isolation six months ago, as the virus swept across the globe.
Earlier this month, Mr Kim hailed his country's "shining success" in dealing with Covid-19.

Latest Stories
-
PBC secures GH₵30m financing facility to pay cocoa farmers
12 minutes -
PAC disappointed over neglect of Ghana’s New York Mission building
19 minutes -
Mighty Minority ready to take on NDC in 2028 – Annoh-Dompreh
21 minutes -
Family of murdered Momo vendor gives IGP 14-day ultimatum or they’ll occupy Ketu police command
25 minutes -
Abronye DC’s health is deterioting in detention – Oppong Nkrumah
29 minutes -
CDSU marks milestones in Global Diplomatic Education and Institutional Evolution
32 minutes -
Of 5,000 hectares and 5,000 acres: The ‘small matter’ of land size for Petroleum Hub project
41 minutes -
Man killed in Bibiani-Asawinso galamsey clash, site owner arrested
47 minutes -
Lack of basic educational facilities threatens quality learning at Bueko School
48 minutes -
Over 16 NPP members arrested over social media commentary – Oppong Nkrumah alleges
51 minutes -
Mahama gov’t has failed faster than expected – Annoh-Dompreh fires at NDC
51 minutes -
Mining sector delivers over GH₵2bn in royalties for quarter one 2026 – MIIF
55 minutes -
Tamale Central MP begins borehole project to tackle water crisis
58 minutes -
Ashanti health authorities raise alarm over hypertension threat
60 minutes -
The Law Institute rebrands as Ghana’s hub for legal and compliance training
1 hour