Audio By Carbonatix
Civil Society Organisation (CSO), OccupyGhana, has demanded the suspension of the operation of Executive Instrument (E.I) 144 by government.
In a letter dated May 23, 2022, the CSO said, "We write to demand that you revoke or suspend the operation of the Forests (Cessation of Forest Reserve) Instrument, 2022 (EI 144) and the Forests (Achimota Firewood Plantation Forest Reserve) (Amendment) Instrument, 2022 (EI 154) forthwith."
OccupyGhana added that "Instead, we demand a full public inquiry under Chapter 23 of the Constitution into the matter of the Achimota Forest Reserve."

"The purpose of the inquiries would be to reverse any illegal acts perpetrated, and improper gains made, by government officials under the guise of returning lands," the CSO explained.
OccupyGhana also referenced a letter addressed to the Minister for Lands and Natural Resources, Mr. Samuel Abu Jinapor dated May 18, 2022 in which it expressed, "vehement disagreement with the alleged plans to return substantial portions of the Achimota Forest Reserve to its former owners."
OccupyGhana alleged that since sending that letter to the Minister, "we have had further cause to believe that this state of affairs is worse and much wider than is apparent. We are also concerned that there might have been serious instances of conflict of interest and conflict of duty involving government officials and other government actors, concerning those lands."

The group also called on government to institute an inquiry into all alleged return of government lands to former owners that have occurred under the Fourth Republic.
It would be recalled that last week, the President signed an Executive Instrument to declassify the Achimota Forest. The Instrument gazetted on behalf of President Akufo-Addo by the Lands Minister, Samuel Abdulai Jinapor, stipulated that effective May 1, 2022, the land on which the Forest is located shall cease to be a forest reserve, pursuant to Section 19 of the Forest Act, 1927 (CAP. 157).
The cessation, per that document, was to be effective on May 1, 2022.
However, the Minister of Lands and Natural Resources, Samuel Abu Jinapor, has said the government is not selling the land.
According to him, plans are rather afoot to upgrade the Achimota Forest into a world-class asset.
Addressing the press on Tuesday, May 17, the sector Minister emphasised that widespread reports about the supposed sale of the Forest are false and baseless, as government has no such plans.
“The government intends to enrich the Achimota forest, revamp it and hopefully in the not too distant future, transform it into the likes of High Park of London and Central Park of New York, where Ghanaians can go and enjoy the beauty of nature and forest reserve as it happens in other parts of the world”.
Latest Stories
-
GHS medical-legal claims hit GH¢400m in three years
5 minutes -
Mahama cautions Ghanaians not to take religious freedom for granted
21 minutes -
We need development pathway, not selection exercise – Sports Minister urges football stakeholders
28 minutes -
Government prioritises foundational learning to improve education outcomes Â
34 minutes -
Ghana, Côte d’Ivoire deepen maritime security cooperation through joint boundary inspection
40 minutes -
Three-hour rainfall exposes poor drainage system in Kadjebi
46 minutes -
Ghana, China push AI innovation in healthcare
53 minutes -
Give young people skills and the systems to create jobs
1 hour -
Food inflation never responded – Dr Yamson says Ghana must stop throwing money at short-term fixes
1 hour -
Oil set for second weekly rise as unsettled US-Iran war crimps supply
2 hours -
US teen drops lawsuit against Meta, Google and Snap ahead of trial
2 hours -
Meghan could return to acting once back in UK
2 hours -
Bali jails Swiss tourist for insulting sacred Day of Silence
2 hours -
At least 50 killed, mostly children, as overloaded boat capsizes in Nigeria
2 hours -
Cameroon president returns home after 10-week absence
2 hours