Audio By Carbonatix
Ghana has recorded a staggering 4,650 fire incidents from January to September 2024, with experts attributing a significant portion of these fires to urbanisation and inadequate housing in the capital, Accra.
Joining Joy News’ News Desk on Monday, November 18, 7 Jul 2023, Mr Alex King Nartey, Assistant Divisional Officer Grade One (ADO1), Public Relations Officer for the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS), highlighted the alarming increase in fire cases, particularly in slum areas.
He pointed out that rapid urbanisation, especially in Accra, has led to a growing number of people from rural areas settling in the city in search of better opportunities.
With the demand for accommodation far outstripping supply, many people have turned to slum dwellings made from highly flammable materials, such as wood.
“These slum dwellings are often used for domestic purposes, and because they are mostly constructed with wooden structures, they are highly susceptible to fires,” Mr Nartey explained. “What worsens the situation is that these areas often do not adhere to fire safety regulations, which has contributed to the increase in domestic fires.”
In addition to domestic fires, Mr Nartey emphasised that electrical faults are another leading cause of fires, particularly during the rainy season when weather conditions can trigger short circuits. According to GNFS data, electrical fires account for a significant proportion of the incidents, with unstable weather conditions which increases the risk.
To fight against the rise in fire incidents, the GNFS has launched several initiatives, including a national awareness campaign focused on bush fires, which happened last Friday during the launch of Bush Fire Awareness Week.
Mr Nartey pointed out that bush fires have a direct impact on food security in Ghana, as they often destroy farmlands and crops, further deepening the country’s food insecurity challenges.
The issue of fire tenders, which play a crucial role in the Fire Service’s response time, was also addressed.
Mr Nartey revealed that there has been an improvement in the availability of fire tenders, with over 80% of previously out-of-commission appliances now back in operation. However, he emphasised the need for new fire trucks and vehicles to improve the country’s overall fire response capacity.
“We’ve made significant progress in improving our response time with more fire tenders on the roads. However, the long-term solution lies in acquiring new fire trucks and rapid intervention vehicles, and we hope that the public will consider donating towards this cause. While the government has a responsibility, it cannot do it all. At the end of the day, it’s the people who are affected, so we encourage everyone to chip in and help protect their communities,” Mr Nartey said.
As part of efforts to reduce the risks of fires, the GNFS has rolled out an extensive education campaign ahead of the festive season and the upcoming elections. Mr Nartey announced that fire officers who had been on leave have been recalled to active duty in preparation for increased demand during these high-risk periods.
According to him, the GNFS will be conducting night patrols in fire-prone “red zones” where fires are most likely to occur. Fire safety teams will also be going around to ensure that individuals and businesses are adhering to fire safety regulations.
“We have intensified our education efforts and are preparing for the upcoming festive season and elections when fire incidents are likely to rise. We’re also stepping up patrols and inspections to ensure that people are following fire safety protocols,” Mr Nartey said.
As fire incidents continue to pose a significant threat to lives and property, the GNFS is urging all Ghanaians to take personal responsibility for fire safety, especially in areas with inadequate infrastructure.
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Kpando SHS brush aside Abor, Jukwa to storm One-Eighth stage with 32 point gap
25 minutes -
Duncan Amoah: Gov’t should create conditions for 24-hour economy, not build markets
31 minutes -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
1 hour -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
2 hours -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
4 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
5 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
5 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
5 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
6 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
6 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
6 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
6 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
6 hours