The Food and Drugs Authority has impounded four cartons and 27 packs of expired Pavo Frankfurt II and Wurstsel DI Pollo E Trachino Congela, a sausage product, in Ho in the Volta Region.
The items were impounded during an enhanced surveillance operation following an alert indicating the Pavo and AIA Wudy brands of frozen foods were contaminated.
The products which were linked to an outbreak of listeriosis in Italy were found in the markets in Ho.
Investigations have been launched to identify the importer and supplier of the red-alert product.
In a related development, border security agencies impounded 22 bags (50kg each) of the lead-contaminated Indian-produced SIMBA rice at the Aflao border.
The red-alert products were identified during duty processing at the Customs unit in November.
This was a joint operation between the Food and Drugs Authority, Customs division of the Ghana Revenue Authority and the Ghana Standards Authority.
The importers upon interrogation said that they bought the products on the Togolese market at cheap prices, to be retailed in Ghana.
The National Security issued an alert for enhanced surveillance following the interception of 1,000 bags of the led-contaminated SIMBA rice in Nigeria.
Addressing the press on the developments, the Volta Regional Director of the FDA, Gordon Akorogo said consuming the rice would lead to brain damage, affect the nervous system and possibly cause death.
“We can’t rule out that this product would find its way on to the market because of the porous nature of our borders”, he said.
He said his outfit has intensified surveillance to remove the lead-contaminated products from the market.
He also urged the public to be extra vigilant when purchasing items during the festive period and desist from picking items with cheap prices, check labeling and expiry details.
“All we want the general public to know is to ensure that we don’t buy food this festive period that will harm our health, that will give us illness”, he stressed.
- WAEC releases 2022 BECE results; entire results of 73 candidates cancelled
- We were never consulted on NDC Parliamentary leadership reshuffle – Muntaka Mubarak
- Financial crisis has affected my GH¢106k investment – Agyinasare
- Minority Leadership reshuffle an affront to dignity of NDC Caucus – Dr. Dominic Ayine
- ‘I’ve had frank conversations with Haruna Iddrisu’ – Ato Forson reveals
- NDC national executives to meet Minority Caucus over reshuffle
- Tullow Oil challenges GRA over $300m tax imposition
- Stonebwoy thanks Asamoah Gyan for paying for his surgery 7 years ago
- Haruna Iddrisu, Muntaka Mubarak still leaders of Minority Caucus – Cletus Avoka
- Individual Bondholders Forum proposes how to save ¢83bn in government expenditure
- Change in Minority Leadership: Rescind decision – Dr Amoako Baah tells NDC national executive
- The Story of Prophet Elisha: Case Study of Apprenticeship for Ghana – Part Two
- Elon Musk denies Twitter use hurts Tesla as sales soar
- Haruna Iddrisu disclaims posts on Facebook, Twitter handles purported to be his
- Africa Business Dialogues: Bawumia proposes focus on 3 broad areas for AfCFTA success
- Livestream: PM Express Business edition discusses Debt Exchange Programme with Alhassan Andani
- Change in Minority Leadership: We cannot refuse to recognise the lawful decision – Kofi Adams
- B.A. Mensah: Ghana moves from Petrodollar to Petrogold
- MEASURES project puts Accra under spotlight for sustainable energy strategy development
- Man butchered by unknown assailants at Krofrom in Ashanti Region
- Five Memphis police officers charged over death of Tyre Nichols
- Randy Gonzalez, father in popular TikTok duo Enkyboys, dead at 35
- Vehicle thefts and carjackings spike in major US cities – report
- Akufo-Addo appoints Frederick Asare Bekoe as Chief of Air Staff
- Change in Minority Leadership: If the cracks get deeper, good for me – Majority Chief Whip