The Holy Week is one of the important periods in the Christian liturgical calendar and Palm Sunday is instrumental in this.
The day is believed to symbolise the triumphant entry of Jesus Christ into Jerusalem where he rode on a donkey, days before his crucifixion and death.
Although this happened over 2000 years ago, the story of Palm Sunday is relived to celebrate the glory of Jesus Christ.
As a prelude to the Easter Celebration, Christians across the world visited places of worship today with palm fronds to repeat the cheering and celebrations the Israelites showed the Son of Man.
Here in Ghana, churches understand this rite and undertake it religiously each year.
Yikene is a small community in the Bolgatanga Municipality of the Upper East Region.
This year, the euphoria was no different, especially for the children in the town.
Freelance photographer, Evans Ahorsu captured these young ones as they trickle in and out of church.
One thing was common among the groups. Some were beautifully clad in their palm branches while others reworked theirs into nicely knitted designs to suit the occasion.
Below are more pictures as captured by the fast-rising photographer:
- Player Ratings: Black Stars suffer 3-0 defeat to Brazil
- Fitch downgrades Ghana from ‘CCC’ to ‘CC’
- Fitch downgrades Ghana to further ‘junk’ status
- Police fire tear gas to disperse protesting final year UEW students
- Obaapa Christy has hidden our last child from me since he was 2 – Ex-husband
- Otto Addo names Black Stars line-up for Brazil friendly
- Brazil’s first half brilliance ensures 3-0 victory over Black Stars
- Otto Addo admits Brazil selection gaffe, pledges to do better
- How the Black Stars came to be known as the “Brazil of Africa”
- US Embassy to clear student visa applications backlog
- Brazil 3-0 Ghana: Ten things we learned
- GITFiC launches book on AfCFTA
- We’re poised to minimise debt restructuring’s impact on financial systems – Finance Ministry
- Black Sherif releases date of his debut album titled ‘The Villain I Never Was’
- Voter registration: EC’s recalcitrance poses the biggest threat to Ghana’s democracy – Sam George
- Hasaacas Ladies announce marquee signing Firdous Yakubu from Ashtown Ladies
- EPCG Divine Grace Parish donate to shore up KATH blood bank
- Close down schools in Bawku over insecurity – Heads of basic schools urge GES
- Brazil exposed set piece weaknesses that Ghana has to address before the World Cup
- Joel Bortey: Tough loss against Brazil but there is time to work on mistakes
- Rockson-Nelson Dafeamekpor: Law school exam leak – GLC’s IEC must be dissolved
- Ghana card has become a tool to infringe on peoples rights – Bright Simons
- Thomas Partey’s late exclusion from Brazil clash was precautionary
- Slamm Foundation launches Nimde3 App that teaches IT skills in local languages
- Brazil 0-3 Ghana: How Brazil floored Black Stars in first half horror show