Audio By Carbonatix
The Ashanti Regional Police Command has denied allegations that personnel deployed to Kumasi Girls' Senior High School assaulted the students.
Some students earlier alleged that they were beaten by joint police and military team deployed to the school to calm a rampage on campus on Monday evening after they were denied mid-term break.
According to the students, the security officials assaulted them even when they retreated to their dormitories.
“We broke veronica buckets but we didn’t destroy any other property. We were there and soldiers and police came around and started lashing us not with canes but with sticks. When you are even lying on your bed, they will pull you down and start caning us,” a student told JoyNews.
But in an interview, Acting Regional Police Commander, DCOP David Agyemang Adjem refuted claims that the security personnel used force to calm the students.
“It will be foolhardy for any police officer or military man to go into a girl’s dormitory and attack them. No. I don’t think that is true. But the information I had is that the students had been unruly and had destroyed school properties.
"So we sent Operation Calm Life which is made of both police and military officers to go to the school. We went there and spoke to the students to quiet down and that is why we have calm in the school. If we had gone attacking them, I am sure they wouldn't have gone to their dormitories," he stressed.
Meanwhile, the Ashanti Region Minister, Simon Osei-Mensah has stated that an investigation will be conducted into the claims.
“Per the briefing that I have been given this morning, I didn’t hear of any assault case. You know students when you even push them to go back they will come back and say they have been assaulted.
“But I will go there and witness it myself to ascertain if any student was assaulted and to what extent that was done,” he told JoyNews.
Latest Stories
-
Youth unemployment remains government’s biggest challenge — Asiedu Nketia
3 minutes -
Cost of borrowing projected to increase despite policy rate hold – banks
5 minutes -
Guardiola to leave Man City after 10 years as boss
9 minutes -
Carrick confirmed as Man Utd permanent manager
14 minutes -
Photos: Parliament reconvenes, opens second meeting of ninth parliament
15 minutes -
Aisha Bengai challenges young women to prioritise business investment over luxury spending
20 minutes -
AMA donates streetlights to improve security and trading conditions at Kantamanto Market
25 minutes -
Registrar of Companies set to delist 318 companies over compliance breaches
27 minutes -
NDC’s Ako Gunn dismisses NPP petition against judge as bid for political relevance
28 minutes -
National Ambulance Service rejects claims that EMTs are poorly trained
31 minutes -
Fire destroys part of cargo truck near Konongo fuel station
37 minutes -
2026 World Cup: No Foden, Trent and Palmer as Tuchel names England squad for tournament
39 minutes -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on Friday May 22
50 minutes -
Ronaldo scores twice to seal Saudi Pro League at last with Al-Nassr
54 minutes -
SSNIT clarifies hotel advertisement, denies sale reports
1 hour