Audio By Carbonatix
The acting Inspector-General of Police (IGP) James Oppong-Boanuh has disclosed that the Ghana Police Service has taken delivery of some 4,500 bulletproof vests for patrol officers.
This is to help protect the officers who have come under increasing attacks in the line of duty resulting, sometimes, in death.
Last week, two police officers were killed in the Eastern and Ashanti regions while they discharged their duties.
On Thursday some unidentified robbers have shot dead two police officers at Kasoa Budumburam in the Central region.
One of them died on the spot while the other passed away while receiving critical attention at a hospital. The names of the deceased officers with the Kasoa Divisional Command are yet to be confirmed.
Investigations have commenced into the incident.
The Service has also confirmed the arrest of three persons suspected to be involved in the murder of two officers at Aplaku near Kasoa on Wednesday afternoon.
The vehicle used in committing the crime, an unregistered Toyota Camry has also been retrieved together with some relevant items, an update from the police said.
Speaking at the 2019 Annual Police Command Conference at Sogakope in the Volta Region, the IGP said the trend cannot be allowed to continue.
“We have started distributing the 4,500 vests that we have received,” he said.
He added while measures are being put in place to protect the officer, the best crime control strategy is anchored on effective collaboration and partnership between communities and the police.
As a result of this, the IGP indicated that the Service is reviving Community Policing and the neighbourhood watch concepts to instill some confidence in Ghanaians about security in communities.
Latest Stories
-
Christopher Bonsu Baah win Staff Player of the Year award in debut season with Al Qadsiah
56 minutes -
Laryea Kingston’s Uganda beat Ghana 8-7 on penalties to secure U-17 World Cup spot and extend Black Starlets’ absence to nine years
1 hour -
FIFA U17 World Cup playoffs: Uganda beat Black Starlets on penalties to qualify
1 hour -
2026 U17 WWCQ: Goalfest in Accra as Black Maidens hit Liberia for six
1 hour -
AyaSol initiative launched to support youth-led solar businesses in Ghana
2 hours -
Photos: e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soirée on AI-driven cyber threats
2 hours -
World Corporate Golf Challenge Ghana officially launches 2026 season
2 hours -
Prof Gyampo Writes: Democracy, free speech and the survival of the Ghanaian polity
3 hours -
Nestlé Ghana, ECOM Ghana hand over 6-unit classroom block to Adarkwa Methodist Primary School
3 hours -
e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soiree on AI-era leadership and cyber threats
3 hours -
Mahama rejects ‘kenkey and waakye party’ celebration after IMF exit, says economy still work in progress
3 hours -
David Hundeyin to release documentary on Tanzania election violence coverage
4 hours -
Photos: President Mahama cuts sod for 24-hour economy market in Bole
4 hours -
Ghana-eligible midfielder Kofi Amoako joins Hamburg from Dynamo Dresden
4 hours -
Mahama commissions Yamoransa Model Lab 13 to advance STEM and digital skills training
5 hours