Audio By Carbonatix
Pope Francis on Sunday criticised President-elect Donald Trump's reported plan to sharply intensify immigration enforcement actions across the U.S. in the days after his inauguration.
In an Italian television interview, the pontiff said it would be a "disgrace" if Trump went forward with the plan, in unusually forceful language for the leader of the global Catholic Church.
"It would make the migrants, who have nothing, pay the unpaid bill," said the pope. "It doesn't work. You don't resolve problems this way."
The pope's remarks were made during a video link from his Vatican residence with the "Che Tempo Che Fa" program on Italy's Channel 9.
Francis, leader of the 1.4 billion-member church, is usually careful about weighing in on political issues.
The pope has made welcoming migrants a key theme of his nearly 12-year papacy, and he has previously criticized Trump's anti-immigrant rhetoric.
During the 2016 election, he said Trump was "not Christian" in his view.
Incoming Trump administration officials said on Saturday that the president-elect was reconsidering plans, for immigration raids in Chicago next week, following reports about the plans.
Earlier on Sunday, Chicago's Catholic archbishop, Cardinal Blase Cupich, also criticized the planned raids.
"This would be an affront to the dignity of all people and communities," the cardinal said in a statement.
Latest Stories
-
Youth unemployment remains government’s biggest challenge — Asiedu Nketia
4 minutes -
Cost of borrowing projected to increase despite policy rate hold – banks
5 minutes -
Guardiola to leave Man City after 10 years as boss
9 minutes -
Carrick confirmed as Man Utd permanent manager
15 minutes -
Photos: Parliament reconvenes, opens second meeting of ninth parliament
15 minutes -
Aisha Bengai challenges young women to prioritise business investment over luxury spending
21 minutes -
AMA donates streetlights to improve security and trading conditions at Kantamanto Market
26 minutes -
Registrar of Companies set to delist 318 companies over compliance breaches
28 minutes -
NDC’s Ako Gunn dismisses NPP petition against judge as bid for political relevance
29 minutes -
National Ambulance Service rejects claims that EMTs are poorly trained
32 minutes -
Fire destroys part of cargo truck near Konongo fuel station
38 minutes -
2026 World Cup: No Foden, Trent and Palmer as Tuchel names England squad for tournament
40 minutes -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on Friday May 22
51 minutes -
Ronaldo scores twice to seal Saudi Pro League at last with Al-Nassr
55 minutes -
SSNIT clarifies hotel advertisement, denies sale reports
1 hour