Audio By Carbonatix
The Member of Parliament for Ashiaman, Alfred K. Agbesi, has called for the arrest and prosecution of the former Managing Director of Tema Oil Refinery(TOR), Dr. K.K. Sarpong.
"Dr. Sarpong caused the company to run down, so he must be called immediately to account for his stewardship,” Mr Agbesi told the Times newspaper in an interview.
Mr Agbesi, who is also a Board Member of TOR, said recent calls for the resignation of the Energy Minister, his deputy and the acting Managing Director of the refinery were unfair since the non function of TOR was not their making.
He said the problems of TOR must be blamed on the inefficiency of the former government and, particularly, the inaction of the former Managing Director, Dr. Sarpong.
TOR’s indebtedness, he said, stands at GH¢1.5 billion, owing GH¢118.10 million to Ghana International Bank in London, Standard Chartered Bank London and Barclays Bank London.
It also owes suppliers of Petroleum GH¢258.80 million, and Crude Oil Suppliers GH¢425.00 as at June 30, this year. Because of this exposure the banks and others are not ready to raise letters of credit for TOR, he said.
Previously, suppliers of the crude oil gave 90 days credit but when the present government came, the period was reduced to 60 days with an additional condition that 50 per cent of the value of the crude oil supplied be paid.
“They are further requesting for 30 days credit and because of the current position of TOR, it cannot raise letters of credit in order to buy the crude,” he said.
The Tema District Council Labour (TDCL), chaired by Mr Wilson Agana, last Friday gave government a two-week ultimatum to supply TOR with crude oil or they would advise themselves.
According to Mr Agana, the huge sums of money used to rehabilitate the plant would go down the drain if government should fail to supply the refinery with oil.
However, the workers threat is deemed nullified following the shipment of a consignment of crude oil from Nigeria last Monday.
President J.E.A Mills last Thursday visited the Refinery to address the workers and assured them that government was working hard to get Crude Oil for the Refinery soon.
Dr Sarpong has however refused to comment on the issue when the Times called in on Wednesday.
He said, “I would rather not comment on the issues because time will tell.”
Source: G. Times
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ebola outbreak poses massive challenges, warns nurse
40 minutes -
Bolivian minister’s convoy ambushed while overseeing roadblock clearance
1 hour -
One killed and many feared trapped under collapsed building in Philippines
1 hour -
Trump tells US negotiators ‘not to rush’ into deal with Iran
2 hours -
Conte to leave Napoli a year after winning Serie A
2 hours -
Iraola signs off after writing new Bournemouth chapter
2 hours -
Fifi Folson marks 20 years on air with Thanksgiving Service, launches teen gospel initiative
2 hours -
The moment that broke Guardiola on day a decade of glory ended
2 hours -
Raducanu beaten in French Open first round
2 hours -
Sabalenka cuts media short as French Open players protest
2 hours -
Ghana’s Jada Yankey clocks new personal best at AP Race London International
3 hours -
GPL 2025/26: Berekum Chelsea end season on high with win over Bechem
3 hours -
Alleged shooting of chief’s brother by galamseyers triggers tension at Gwira Ampansie
3 hours -
Livestream: The Probe examines New Decentralisation Policy
4 hours -
Enterprise Insurance pays over GH¢280m in claims in 2025
4 hours