Audio By Carbonatix
An exercise to partially decommission the tollbooth structures on the Accra-Tema Motorway has been started by the Ghana Highways Authority (GHA).
The exercise, estimated at GH¢1 million, will see the main booths, two each, situated on the main motorway inner lane demolished.
The booths outside the main two lane, will not be touched. These are the additional booths that were part of the extension project at the tollbooths to help ease traffic congestion when the toll was operational.
All the concrete slabs on which the tollbooths were sitting will be pulled down, the Ghana Highways Authority has told Graphic Online.
The abandoned tollbooths have become a spot for accidents in recent times, with a recent accident last Sunday killing one person.

There have been public complaints about the abandoned tollbooth structures on the Motorway.
In May 2022, a tipper truck crashed into two of the booths leaving two persons injured.
Motorists have also complained that the tollbooths are not visible especially at night as there are no lights at the spots or the reflectors are defective.
Decommissioning programme
The Director of Road Safety and Environment at the GHA, Joseph Atsu Amedzake, told Graphic Online's Della Russel Ocloo that arrangements have been finalised for the partial removal of the tollbooths to make traveling much easier for commuters.
"We are presently mobilising resources, equipment and personnel to enable us commence work immediately" he said.
As part of the exercise, three lanes on which the booths are sitting, earmarked for removal have been cordoned off.
When Graphic Online visited the Accra end of the tollbooth at about 2:50 pm on Thursday [Sept 7, 2023], it was observed that reflective cones had been placed within the cordoned area to warn motorists about the blockade of some of the lanes.
That, Mr Amedzake said was a safety measure to prevent accidents and to ensure that motorists are aware of the situation around the tollbooths.

"In the interim, we are also mobilising to install solar powered streetlights at the Tema and Accra ends of the tollbooths to address the safety concerns while we look for a permanent solution of lighting the entire motorway.
Potholes
Mr Amedzake also said that patching works of the depressed areas along the motorway which continue to pose danger to commuters will soon begin to address the safety concerns.
The potholes have also become a major cause of traffic congestion along the stretch which previously was the most preferred fastest route for many commuters travelling in and out of Accra to Tema and other parts of the country.
Mr Amedzake appealed to motorists and commuters to exercise caution when using the affected sections of the motorway, while also encouraging them to obey the speed limit so as to help prevent accidents.
Latest Stories
-
BoG Governor calls for balance between financial innovation and stability
2 minutes -
Regulate the risk, not the technology – Governor Asiama advises central banks
2 minutes -
NIA clears 640,000 card backlog, expands nationwide and Diaspora operations
4 minutes -
Ghana to launch first electronic visa system on Africa Day – Ablakwa announces
6 minutes -
Sparqlyn congratulates Shatta Wale on IRAWMA wins, recounts old memories
10 minutes -
Agriculture Ministry warns against unauthorised livestock markets ahead of Eid
20 minutes -
Dr Gideon Boako predicts an increase in bank charges from June 4
26 minutes -
To what degree can universities alone save Africa?
27 minutes -
Minority vows to block new taxes, cites hardship on Ghanaians
28 minutes -
Ghana’s Parliament among the most transparent in Africa – Mahama Ayariga
32 minutes -
JoyNews reports lead to restoration of Awoshie–Ablekuma traffic lights, easing safety concerns
36 minutes -
Ghana Sports Fund to rely on lotto, gaming revenue and corporate support — Administrator
43 minutes -
PAC urges Finance Ministry to conduct annual audits of gov’t arrears to curb financial irregularities
45 minutes -
S.K. Agyemang launches ‘Menpaebo’ album with Light Seekers
47 minutes -
Punishing perpetrators only way to end electoral violence — Asiedu Nketia
47 minutes