Audio By Carbonatix
Manchester City have lost out to Italian side AC Milan in the race to sign Barcelona playmaker Ronaldinho.
"AC Milan and Barcelona have reached an agreement in principle over the transfer of Ronaldinho," the Serie A club said on their website.
"The player will be in Milan on Wednesday to undergo a medical and sign a contract that will keep him at Milan until 30 June 2011."
City had reportedly bid ÂŁ25.5m for the 28-year-old Brazilian.
Manchester City boss Mark Hughes believes they should be given credit for launching their bold move to bring the Brazil superstar to the Premier League.
He said:I think we have shown a willingness to bring Ronaldinho here and should be complemented for that. In the end though it will be the players decision.
Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport reported on its website that Milan will pay Spanish side Barcelona just ÂŁ14.6m for his services, with the figure likely to be increased by performance-related bonuses.
Milan chief executive Adriano Galliani has been in Barcelona for talks with the club and the player for two days.
The two-time Fifa World Player of the Year's time at Barcelona effectively came to an end in June when new manager Pep Guardiola announced the playmaker was surplus to requirements.
Nevertheless, the Catalans were not prepared to release Ronaldinho to join Dunga's Brazil squad for next month's Beijing Olympics.
City will be disappointed at their failure to pull off what would have been a major coup, despite the heavy financial and footballing risks involved in completing the deal.
But their determined effort to sign Ronaldinho has offered a clear indication of the financial muscle available to new boss Hughes from owner Dr Thaksin Shinawatra.
Reports suggest that Ronaldo's negotiating team were ultimately uinimpressed by a financial package from City that was heavily weighted with clauses relating to performance, success and marketing.
City had also hoped their signing on Ronaldinho's fellow countryman Jo in a deal that could eventually be worth ÂŁ19m would have been a signal of their intent and lured him to Eastlands, but he has decided to move to Milan.
Ronaldinho helped Barcelona win back-to-back Spanish league titles (2004-05, 2005-06) and the Champions League in 2006, but failed to cement a regular place in the starting XI last season because of injury and fitness issues.
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
44 minutes -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
1 hour -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
1 hour -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
1 hour -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
1 hour -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
1 hour -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
2 hours -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
2 hours -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
2 hours -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
2 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
2 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
3 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
3 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
3 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
3 hours