Nope, it’s not a sudden dose of modesty for Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo. Instead it’s his ever-expanding Brazilian namesake who has bestowed the honour upon Barcelona’s Lionel Messi.
In an interview with CNN World Sport, the two-time World Cup winner – who played for both Real and Barca – overlooked national rivalries to say he thought Messi was the better player.
Ronaldo said: “Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo without a doubt are the best players today. I give a preference to Messi, because he’s a player who fascinates us more, who shows more creativity. Even though he’s from Argentina, which has a big rivalry with Brazil! But he’s a player I admire a lot.
“In fact, both of them. But I think Messi is a little above Cristiano Ronaldo.”
In case you were wondering, he was handed a safe Brazilian option of Neymar but turned it down.
He said: “I think Neymar still has a phase to complete. To play in Europe and triumph playing in Europe.”
- World Bank classifies Ghana as high debt distressed country; debt to GDP to hit 104%
- While others mocked me, Seidu Agongo offered to help – Kofi Amoabeng
- ‘Suck a breast within October’ – Health expert advises men
- Daddy Lumba opens up on being bedridden for over 5 years
- Child Rights International places ¢10k bounty on head of man flogging toddler in viral video
- E-levy: GRA blames charging entities for wrongful deductions
- President’s son loses army post after Twitter spree
- Auctioning of vehicles at Tema Port to go online by end of October, 2022- GRA
- ‘I sold my mansion for me not to go broke’ – Kofi Amoabeng
- UTAG, 3 university labour unions to strike on October 13
- We need a national discussion on how to make Ghana’s debt sustainable – Ato Forson
- Morocco issues first cannabis production permits
- Ukraine’s uphill battle to gain Africa’s support
- Victims of human trafficking need adequate information on the issue – Media consultant
- IMF won’t lend to Ghana if debt levels are unsustainable -Dr. Acheampong
- Black Sherif releases ‘The Villain I Never Was’
- Ghana’s debt to GDP is not properly accounted for – Ato Forson
- Scientists, policy makers to benefit from KNUST’s Building Stronger Universities project
- Nigerian oil export terminal had theft line in the sea for 9 years
- We are determined to build trustworthy and robust institutions – Chief Justice assures
- B. A. Mensah: Ghanaians are about to get a break from the fuel crisis
- Playback: PM Express discusses Ghana’s unsustainable debt levels and impact on IMF negotiations
- I will deal with government officials found complicit in galamsey activities – Akufo-Addo
- Sadiq Abdulai Abu, Bessa Simons, Spiky, others confirmed as speakers for 2022 Ghana DJ Clinic
- Nigerian singer Asa threatens Joeboy with copyright lawsuit, demands ₦300m