The South African government says it has contacted Malawi to hand over controversial preacher, Shepherd Bushiri, and his wife, Mary, after the couple skipped bail.
The couple is facing fraud and money laundering charges in South Africa.
Mr Bushiri, the leader of the Enlightenment Christian Gathering Church, also known to his followers as Major 1, announced on Saturday that he fled South Africa after receiving death threats.
He refused to reveal to the BBC how they escaped, but it is thought that they were smuggled across the border by a syndicate that deals with stolen cars.
His escape sparked a diplomatic between South Africa and Malawi.
The South African government has labelled the couple as fugitives who must be extradited to face justice.
Malawi’s President Lazarus Chakwera, who was on a state visit to South African last week, was accused of aiding Mr Bushiri’s escape – an allegation he has repeatedly denied.
South African authorities have also confirmed that the Malawian millionaire preacher did not leave on President Chakwera’s flight.
- She circulated my nudes because I refused to break up with ‘our’ boyfriend
- Saglemi Scandal: How the same consultancy service was allegedly awarded 3 times for $13m
- Saglemi scandal: Funds were not directly given to me, they were spent by Finance Ministry – Collins Dauda
- Ghana will not default in repaying debt; but classified as highly debt distress country – IMF
- Police Constable allegedly murdered in cold blood by boyfriend in Damongo
- University of Ghana students bear brunt as UTAG strike kicks in
- Anti-LGBTQ+ Bill: Ghana treading on slippery slope, I doubt Akufo-Addo will assent to it – H. Kwasi Prempeh
- Alleged $5m CJ bribe: Ogyeedom’s lawyer drags GLC to Court
- ECG on warpath with GRIDCo over its decision to sell power for industrial use
- Actor, Jay Pickett dies on set
Western Region Forestry Commission announces ‘closed season’ for hunting
Many cocoa farmers can’t afford new farming techniques – Research
Policewoman stabbed to death at Damongo
‘Be creative and innovative as you enter the job market’ – Bono East Minister to NSS personnel
Tokyo 2020: Youth and Sports Minister announces package for Team Ghana
EduSpots to distribute 28,000 books across 40 communities in 15 regions
Tema to host Masquerade Carnival in December
Investigate vandalism at Bogoso Prestea Mines – Wassa East MP
Bill and Melinda Gates finalize their divorce
2021 Census: 99% of households counted, exercise ends August 8
Sunyani Traditional Council enstools Nana Akosua Dua Asor Brayie II as Paramount Queen-mother
Election-related expenditure reason for high debt, not Covid-19 – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
Shirley Frimpong-Manso tells the Ghanaian love story with her first telenovela, Dede
Filing an appeal isn’t stay of execution, you can’t hold yourself as MP – Nana Boakye tells Gyaakye Quayson
Tokyo 2020: Three things that will motivate Takyi for gold