Saudi Arabia has declared Wednesday, November 23, 2022 a public holiday after a historic win over Argentina in the ongoing 2022 World Cup.
Herve Renard’s side fought back to record a 2-1 win over the South American side on Tuesday at the Lusail Stadium in Doha.
Lionel Messi scored Argentina’s first goal from a penalty kick in the tenth minute of the match, before Saudi Arabia later scored their first goal by Saleh Al-Shehri in the 49th minute.
On the 53rd minute, Salem Al-Dosari scored a beautiful goal to seal the win for the Asian side.
Following the win, the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, King Salman bin Abdulaziz, has directed that there would be a holiday for all employees in the public and private sectors and students at all educational levels according to SPA, Saudi Arabia’s official news agency.
This isn’t the first time a public holiday has been declared after a World Cup win.
Cameroon’s stellar performance against Argentina in the opening match of 1990s tournament – often referred to as one of the biggest upsets in football history – also saw a holiday declared in Cameroon the very next day.
- Ashanti NSS boss insults nurse for suggesting a change in prescription
- Nurse who was verbally abused by Ashanti Region NSS Boss no longer at Manhyia Hospital – GRNMA
- Petrol, diesel prices to go down by 10% – IES
- That is not my style – Ashanti Regional NSS boss apologises for insulting nurses
- Fire destroys shops at Kantamanto market
- ‘Mr and Mrs Adeleke’: Fans gush over photos of Chioma with Davido and her in-laws during 1st public appearance
- Fentuo Tahiru Fentuo: The day Kudus shone, in Jordan’s shadow
- Ex-Black Stars midfielder Sulley Muntari retires, age 38
- NSS summons Ashanti Region boss for investigation
- Cedi to witness mixed performance this week
- Actionaid Ghana raises concern over the continued reduction in kindergarten education budget
- 2023 Budget: Certain difficult choices have to be made – Prof. Turkson
- Elderly persons need sex too – Gynecologist
- Government must exempt health sector from public sector employment freeze – GMA
- 2022 FIFA WC: “No time for revenge, qualification is key” – Andre Ayew
- Lack of support affecting mental health conditions – MindFreedom Ghana
- Who determines what is critical in this country? – TUC on public sector employment freeze
- 2023 Budget: Today’s debate to focus on Trade, Energy, Communications and Roads
- TUC has never supported government going to the IMF – Joshua Ansah
- Court remands trader for defrauding entrepreneurs
- Manifestivities concert to make big return on December 18
- South African delegation to understudy Ghana’s small-scale mining sector
- Marriages are collapsing due to high cost of living – Dr Ato Forson
- Forget Ashanti Regional NSS boss’ apology; it is hollow – GRNMA
- Equip hospitals in Africa for swift pandemic response – Prof. Christian Drosten