Audio By Carbonatix
Scores of people were killed late Monday after a tanker transporting gasoline exploded in Cap Haitien, Haiti's second largest city, according to Haiti officials.
The death toll currently stands at 59, according to the city's Deputy Mayor Patrick Almonor, who also extended an appeal for blood donations and called the overall situation "critical."
"We have 59 people killed so far, and we have dozens at the hospital and health centers across the city," said Almonor, who called for urgent care and blood donations for the injured.
"We have nearly 50 houses impacted by the fire and most of them will need to be demolished asap," he added.
"The city will need a lot of help to come out of this tragedy, the central government is offering to help but we are waiting to see it. We believe we will need more than just the central government, the situation is critical."
Medical officials have issued a public appeal for blood donations, a civil protection agency spokesperson told CNN.
Haiti's Prime Minister Ariel Henry reacted to the tragedy on Tuesday morning, tweeting: "I learned, with desolation and emotion, the sad news of the explosion, last night, in Cap-Haitien, of a tanker truck transporting gasoline, and which caused, according to a partial report, about forty dead, dozens injured, as well as extensive material damage."
Local officials say rescue efforts are ongoing and that the death toll is expected to rise.
Mr. Henry later declared three days of national mourning in the wake of the explosion, "in memory of the victims of this tragedy which grieves the entire Haitian nation."
Latest Stories
-
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
54 minutes -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
60 minutes -
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
1 hour -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
1 hour -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
1 hour -
Supreme Court to rule today on challenge to legal vacation warrants
1 hour -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
1 hour -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
1 hour -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
2 hours -
Adongo calls for non-political interference in $1.46bn Heritage Fund review
2 hours -
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 amid concerns over ageing lab equipment
2 hours -
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
2 hours -
96% of Ghanaian pensioners willing to work beyond retirement age – Study
2 hours -
Ghana gets nuclear power plant simulator
2 hours -
Temporary Akosombo power control facility to be ready by September – Energy Ministry
2 hours