Sierra Leone has banned public celebrations over Christmas and the New Year, because of the Ebola crisis.
Soldiers are to be deployed on the streets throughout the festive period to keep people indoors, officials say.
Christmas is widely celebrated in Sierra Leone, even though Islam is the largest religion.
Sierra Leone has the most cases of Ebola in the current outbreak. Some 6,580 have died, mostly in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.
President Ernest Bai Koroma told traditional leaders to stop traditional practices as part of efforts to end Ebola in the country, Awoko newspaper reports.
The president added that despite international aid, it seemed "as if the cases are increasing", especially in north-western areas such as Port Loko and the Bombali region.
Meanwhile in Mali, the last person still to be treated for Ebola has been cured leaving no more cases in the country, the health ministry announced.
The country recorded eight cases of Ebola – including six deaths – and is continuing to monitor a number of people who were in contact with patients.
Sierra Leone has the highest number of Ebola cases in West Africa, with more than 8,000 cases and some 1,900 deaths since the start of the outbreak.
It overtook Liberia as the country with the most cases earlier in December, according to World Health Organization (WHO) figures.
The West African outbreak of Ebola is the deadliest ever.
The virus, which was first identified in 1976, causes vomiting, diarrhoea and bleeding.
People are infected through direct contact with the bodily fluids of a person who has the virus or has died from Ebola.
Up to 10 December
Deaths – probable, confirmed and suspected
(Includes one in the US and six in Mali)
1,899 Sierra Leone
- I asked Akufo-Addo to forgive me for opposing Bawumia as running mate – Ama Busia
- Akuapem Poloo’s child is with me, he doesn’t know what is going on – Actress’ lawyer
- 7 times Ghana has beaten Nigeria to the prize
- NDC must focus on healing the horse, not selecting a rider – Kunbour
- Attorney General supports my motion for appeal – Lawyer for Akuapem Poloo reveals
- ‘A tenant may be evicted for a month’s arrears’ – Rent Control
- 12 leading clubs confirm formation and format for breakaway Super League
- Whether dumsor is back or not, current power outages must be resolved immediately – Prof Adei
- Tottenham sack Mourinho after 17 months
- Teen charged in killing of 45-year-old Ghanaian Lyft driver in the US
New cocoa management system to promote transparency
Thirteen drown as vehicle plunges into canal in Philippines
GNC complies with EPA directives to stop pollution of Tano River
Industries are killing water bodies in Greater Accra – Kpone Mantse
Vanessa Bryant shares intimate wedding picture to mark 20th anniversary with Kobe Bryant
Fire engulfs Mampong College of Education administration block
Corruption in Ghana a reality that must be addressed – Prof. Adei
Hollard Life Launches MeBanbɔ to provide insurance for underserved
Norwegian Ambassador to Ghana pays courtesy call on Communication Minister
Cadres Tema meeting doesn’t conflict with NDC retreat – Kunbour
500 Covid-19 vaccines expire due to low patronage in some regions
Fire razes over 30 shops at Kumasi Central Market
Afienya, Ashaiman, Katamanso and other areas in Accra to have interrupted supply – Water Company
2 drug traffickers excrete 191 pellets of cocaine, heroin at Nigerian airport
Japan Motors launches New Nissan Sunny in Ghana