Audio By Carbonatix
Armed South African police officers are protecting deliveries of food and supplies to supermarkets after days of widespread looting and violence.
Riots were sparked by the jailing of former President Jacob Zuma.
An estimated $1bn (£720m) worth of stock was stolen in KwaZulu-Natal with at least 800 retail shops looted, a mayor in the province said.
President Cyril Ramaphosa said that his government would not allow "anarchy and mayhem" to prevail.
He also suggested that the violence had been deliberately provoked.
In KwaZulu-Natal, Mr Zuma's home province and the epicentre of the violence, many have been queueing for food, with some lining up from the early hours of the morning just to get a few items.
People queueing told the BBC they were concerned about feeding their families, getting formula and nappies for their babies, and even food for their pets.
The week of violence in the province has left roads damaged or blocked by rioters and the government wants to make sure the food supply is not disrupted, said Khumbudzo Ntshavheni, an acting minister.
Members of the army have been deployed to protect national key flashpoints and the police are providing escorts for the transportation of oxygen, medicines and other key goods, she said.
Mxolisi Kaunda, mayor of eThekwini, a municipality in KwaZulu-Natal that includes the main city Durban, said 16bn rand ($1bn; £720m) had been lost in damage to property.
Speaking in Durban on Friday, President Ramaphosa said that it was clear the incidents were "instigated" and "we are after these people". He did not say who he was referring to.
Protests began last week after Zuma handed himself to the police to serve a 15-month sentence for contempt of court.
Zuma's supporters reacted furiously to his imprisonment, blockading major roads and calling for a shutdown to demand his release.
The protests descended into riots on a scale rarely seen in South Africa, with businesses in every sector looted, burnt and petrol-bombed in cities and towns across KwaZulu-Natal.
The official death toll stands at 91 in KwaZulu-Natal, and 26 in Gauteng, which includes Johannesburg, making a total of 117 killed.
Latest Stories
-
Four dead and dozens injured in wave of Russian strikes on Kyiv
6 minutes -
Ageing and Longevity: Lessons from a 109-year-old
58 minutes -
Gov’t reaffirms commitment to Africa’s digital economy at AIGF launch
58 minutes -
One dead, multiple injured after Russia launches wave of strikes on Ukraine
2 hours -
Gov’t targets petroleum upstream recovery after five years of consecutive decline
2 hours -
TUC welcomes ICJ ruling affirming workers’ right to strike
3 hours -
NDC teachers launch grassroots political drive in Western North
3 hours -
GN Savings and Loans to reopen first branch in Elmina – Nduom
3 hours -
Mr Eazi’s Zagadat Capital acquires 17.31 per cent stake in Intravenous Infusions PLC
4 hours -
Usyk keeps titles with controversial Verhoeven stoppage
4 hours -
Suspect killed after opening fire on Secret Service near White House
4 hours -
Mahama, Macron push new chapter on reparatory justice
5 hours -
Ghana Institute of Architects cracks down on fake architects and illegal practice
5 hours -
Ghana to destroy over 4,000 illegal weapons in nationwide arms amnesty exercise
5 hours -
Headmen and Queen Mothers meet in Binde to promote lasting peace in Mamprugu Kingdom
6 hours