Audio By Carbonatix
South African Airways (SAA) has announced plans to resume scheduled flights to Accra and some part of Africa from September 23, 2021.
The airline is resuming operations after it was force to ground all its fleets in 2019 because of worsening financial situation and Covid-19.
Earlier this month, the South African aviation regulators restored the operating licence of the airline, paving the way for it to resume services.
Ticket sales resume from 26th August and SAA will initially operate flights from Johannesburg to Cape Town, Accra, Kinshasa, Harare, Lusaka and Maputo.
The airline said it will add more destinations in response to market conditions.
Interim Chief Executive of South African Airline, Thomas Kgokolo said “after months of diligent work, we are delighted that SAA is resuming services and we look forward to welcoming on board our loyal passengers and flying the South African flag.”
He stressed that “there is a profound feeling of enthusiasm within Team SAA as we prepare for take-off, with one common purpose – to rebuild and sustain a profitable airline that once again takes a leadership role among local, continental, and international airlines.”
SAA entered a formal business rescue process in late 2019, but efforts to restructure the carrier were further complicated by the Covid-19 pandemic’s disruption to global travel.
The airline came out of the business rescue process in April 2021 and the South African government agreed a deal to sell a 51% stake in the airline to a consortium of local investors in June.
Latest Stories
-
Alhaji of Radio Univers dies aged 63
1 minute -
Ghana’s passport and visa architecture: A digital-first overhaul is long overdue
1 minute -
Nigeria warns against enlisting abroad after reports of deaths in Ukraine
2 minutes -
Bondi Beach shooting accused faces court for the first time
3 minutes -
Our export quantum has increased by about $8.5m – GEPA Board Chair
4 minutes -
Kofi Ofosu Nkansah mourns father, hints arrest kept him away
5 minutes -
NAIMOS taskforce intensifies anti-galamsey crackdowns in Ashanti Region
17 minutes -
70-year-old visually impaired killed in fire incident at Sefwi Adjoafua
25 minutes -
Curfew lifted in Nalerigu and surrounding communities – Ministry of the Interior
28 minutes -
Central Regional Minister charges MMDCEs to exceed expectations or face sanctions
30 minutes -
Open Letter from a Medical Doctor to the Health Minister on the Charles Amissah investigation
37 minutes -
Benjamin Asare: the ultimate winner from Sunday’s Super Clash
37 minutes -
Foreigners committing crimes in Ghana without consequences – Vicky Bright
48 minutes -
Court of Appeal quashes KNUST directive for lecturer to apologise to colleagues
51 minutes -
Iranian Embassy in Ghana responds to the remarks of the Israeli Ambassador to Ghana
55 minutes
