Ghana’s Black Starlets got off on a brighter note in their campaign to the 8th African U-17 championship when they chalked a 3-0 win over their Libyan counterparts in the first round leg clash at the Ohene Djan Stadium in Accra on Saturday.
First half strikes from Frank Acheampong and Felix Adjei with another in the second half by substitute Kwame Nzor gave the Starlets a comfortable lead ahead of the second leg in a Tripoli in a fortnight’s time.
The Starlets team were however unimpressive as they played as if there was nothing at stake despite flashes of brilliance from Achempong, Mahatma Otto and Mohamed Alhassan.
After the six minute mark, Acheampong broke the deadlock with a feeble shot that gazed the post before kissing the net after he was put through by Alhassan.
Eight minutes on Adjei consolidated the lead for the Starlets by connecting home captain Kwame Nkrumah’s free-kick from the right flank.
The Starlets continued to dominate the one-sided game but the strikers were wasteful in front of goal.
The Libyans who showed occasional brilliance resumed the second half on a bright note and could only boast of Mohamed Ghani’s near miss in the 76th minute.
Starlets coach Emmanuel Kwasi Afranie brought on lanky striker Nsor on 58 minutes and it paid off a minute later when he soared above the defenders to head home beautifully after he was fed by Acheampong.
The Libyan goalie Emmadir Ragab was the hero for his side over the last ten minutes as he denied the Starlets with spectacular saves in the 81st, 83rd and 88th minutes.
The second leg will come off in Tripoli on Friday, September 12.
The winner after both legs will face the winner of the clash between Gambia and Sierra Leone in the final round.
Ghana – James Nkansah, Kwame Frimpong/Aaron Amoah, Isaac Eshun, Ibrahim Moro, Ainooson Abeiku, Masawudu Basit, Mohammed Alhassan/Moro Mubarak, Mohammed Fatau, Mahatma Otoo, Frank Acheampong, Felix Adjei/Kwame Nsor
Libya – Emmadir Ragab, Mohamed El Manir, Mutasem Guma, Ahmed Eltrbi, Rabel Kaaber, Mohamed Elfezz, Hassan Khalifa/Mohamed Doza, Abdul Malik Alyam, Mohmaed Shiwi, Mohamed Gani/Abdallah Jadid, Sami Alghulla/Majdi Belgas
- Man arrested for threatening to release nude videos of late brother’s wife
- ‘I’m extremely regretful’ – KiDi apologises for ‘inappropriate and unkind’ old tweets
- Mankessim murder: Accused persons allegedly confess to killing 2 more people
- SIM re-registration: National Security has warned Akufo-Addo against blockage – Deputy Minority Whip
- Every single day Akufo-Addo remains President, the country drifts into peril – Dr Amoako Baah
- My husband left me for a ‘sugar mummy’ after 9 months of marriage – Woman shares experience
- Police confirm another murder orchestrated by Mankessim suspects
- 2 sustain gunshot wounds at mining firm in Samreboi
- Banking Sector Clean-up: We should have allowed institutional disciplines to work – Alhassan Andani
- Ghanaian footballer in the US dies in car crash
- Sadiq Abdulai Abu resigns as CEO of 3Music Networks
- I didn’t do music for fame, I wanted to inspire people – Zahara
- 1972 year group of Opoku Ware School refurbishes assembly hall
- Support Kirani Ayat amid copyright infringement allegations against GTA – Trigmatic tells creatives
- Hosts Ghana clash with Nigeria in MEA Rugby League Championship final
- BoG must review policy rate increases; economy not responding –Alhassan Andani
- There is no blueprint and formula for identifying football talents in Ghana – Faisal Chibsah
- Prosecution is an attempt to tarnish his reputation – Danadams Pharmaceuticals CEO lawyers
- Thomas Partey included in Arsenal squad to face Tottenham Hotspur
- Woman kills former landlord with hammer, steals $40k through forged checks
- Labour MP suspended, apologises after calling Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng ‘superficially’ black
- Video of alleged ‘galamsey’ men in gun battle with authorities emerges on social media
- GRA set to roll out E-invoicing from tomorrow October 1
- US-based Oakley signs agreement with Benjamin Azamati