The Subin MP, Eugene Boakye Antwi, has proposed a mandatory reengineering and rewiring of electrical installations on old buildings in the Central Business District of Kumasi.
According to him, many commercialised buildings are about a century old and still have old wiring installations.
Reeingering such installations he said has become imperative due to the rise in fire outbreaks recorded in the locality.
“Over the last fifty years or so, these were our family homes. This is where our parents were born and brought. Now the whole place has become commercialised. They have been turned into offices and shops. So the wiring has to be looked at. The pressure on existing wiring must all be looked at.”
“The EPA, Fire Service have to sit down and look at the buildings that have to be collapsed to be rebuilt with modern wiring taking place. If we don’t do these things, I suspect that these things will be hitting us now and then,” he said.
On Friday, February 4, three shops at Adum were razed down after a fire outbreak. The Agyekum building was among the damaged buildings. Goods amounting to millions of Ghana cedis were destroyed.
The next day, a baby shop inside the Central Business District was engulfed by fire.
Mr Eugene Boakye Antwi and Deputy Regional Fire Officer, DO2 Rashid Nisau, visited the two shopping enclaves at Adum that caught fire over the weekend.
The Fire service says it is still conducting investigations to establish the official cause of the fire outbreaks.
- Social media users troll Shatta Wale over Jackie Appiah’s mansion
- Scores injured in accident on Accra-Kumasi highway
- Bawumia, NPP and NDC bigwigs mourn with Jospong CEO
- Finance Minister accounted for less than 50% of Covid-19 expenditure – Dr. Asiedu
- Tonto Dikeh nominated as running mate to Rivers State governorship candidate
- National Cathedral: Board of Trustees must also be blamed for infractions – Antwi-Bosiako
- Over 1000 Nigeriens repatriated – Gender Ministry
- Man found dead on a farm after going missing
- At least 17 found dead in South Africa nightclub
- All issues raised about National Cathedral will be addressed – Dr John Kumah
We are resolving issues surrounding abandoned Atta Mills library – Prof. Edu-Buandoh
Livestream: The Law discusses Ghana’s plan for community sentencing
MSMEs reluctant to legalise operations due to taxation -GEA Study
Reading has opened many doors for me – Samira Bawumia tells students
KNUST School of Veterinary Medicine organises maiden animal welfare seminar
GhIE President calls for construction of durable road transport systems in Ghana
BoG, CSA to collaborate to fight cyber threats
Ukraine war: UK joins ban on imports of Russian gold
Semenya slams ‘cowards’ leading African athletics over DSD stance
Nigerian Ife head: Why UK police are holding a priceless sculpture
At least 17 found dead in South Africa nightclub
Livestream: Virtual Service with Pastor Mensa Otabil
Bawumia, NPP and NDC bigwigs mourn with Jospong CEO
Man found dead on a farm after going missing
Fire guts 10-bedroom house at Dwase-Praso