Audio By Carbonatix
Iraq has hanged three people convicted of involvement in a vehicle bombing in Baghdad that killed more than 300 people and injured hundreds in 2016.
It was the deadliest single bombing in Iraq since the US-led invasion in 2003.
The Islamic State group (IS) said it had carried out the attack.
Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani's office did not name those executed or say when they had been sentenced. The executions were carried out on Sunday and Monday, it said.
A government source told AFP news agency that Ghazwan al-Zawbaee, held to be the IS mastermind behind the attack, was among those put to death. Zawbaee had been captured and returned to Iraq in 2021.
The prime minister informed victims' families that "the rightful punishment of death sentence" had been carried out against "three key criminals found guilty of their involvement in the terrorist bombing", his office said.
On 3 July 2016 a vehicle filled with explosives was blown up next to a crowded shopping centre in Karrada, a mainly Shia Muslim area of the Iraqi capital.
People had been enjoying a night out after breaking their daily fasts for the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.
Many of the victims were killed by a fire that ripped through the building after the bomb blast.
Interior Minister Mohammed Ghabban resigned in the wake of the blast.
The then-Prime Minister, Mustafa al-Kadhimi, accused Zawbaee of being the "primary culprit" behind that attack and "many others".
IS, a Sunni Muslim group, once controlled 88,000 sq km (34,000 sq miles) of territory stretching from eastern Iraq to western Syria and imposed its brutal rule on almost eight million people.
Despite the group's defeat on the battlefield in Iraq in 2017 and in Syria two years later, it is estimated that thousands of militants remain active in both countries.
In March, the UN estimated that IS still had "5,000 to 7,000 members and supporters" across Iraq and neighbouring Syria, "roughly half of whom are fighters".
Latest Stories
-
Many Canadians are boycotting the US, so this is where they’re travelling instead
3 minutes -
Mining communities must be treated as development partners and economy shareholders – Sammy Gyamfi
8 minutes -
Nearly 9 metric tonnes gold refined locally this year – Sammy Gyamfi
9 minutes -
The world’s best countries for expats in 2026
13 minutes -
Social clubs must become engines of national development – Ace Anan Ankomah
15 minutes -
Harvard appoints former BoG Governor Ernest Addison as senior research fellow
16 minutes -
Sammy Gyamfi warns youth exclusion could threaten mining’s social licence
17 minutes -
Mining communities must not be left without social amenities – Sammy Gyamfi
22 minutes -
National Mining Dialogue 2026: We must remain independent in reporting on mining — GJA President
29 minutes -
Social licence must be reimagined as a development compact with the youth – Sammy Gyamfi
31 minutes -
Give indigenous landowners control to curb irresponsible mining – Dr Nana Kwao Adarkwa
39 minutes -
Interior Minister urges religious leaders to protect Ghana’s tradition of tolerance
40 minutes -
In Pictures: Dignitaries, stakeholders gather for National Mining Dialogue 2026
47 minutes -
BoG inaugurates Financial Advisory Council to drive non-interest banking in Ghana
50 minutes -
Mineral right is a privilege, not an absolute right – Minerals Commission
50 minutes