Audio By Carbonatix
An Accra Circuit Court on Friday fixed April 11 to commence hearing into the case of three persons, including a court official of the Judicial Service who were nabbed over fake Judicial Certificate of Divorce.
This was after it had granted bail to Akwasi Asare Junior, a Clerk with the AMA, Charlotte Ofori, a typist of the Judicial Service and Daniel Kwame Bessah, ex-army officer in the sum of GH200,000 cedis each with two sureties each.
Asare has been charged with forgery of judicial document, while Charlotte is being held for abetment of crime.
Bessah, Major (retired) is being held for possessing and forging judicial certificate of divorce.
The three accused persons have pleaded not guilty before the court presided over by Ms Audrey Kocuvi-Tay.
At the court today, three defence counsels prayed the court to admit the accused persons to bail as offence preferred against the accused persons were bailable.
According to the lawyers, before the case was brought to court the accused persons were on police enquiry bail as such they would not abscond from the court's jurisdiction.
They contended that they would cooperate with the court.
The case of prosecution was that the complainant Innocencia Ama Avetey, the wife of Bessah, got married under ordinance on 12 October, 2002 and both had been living together as husband and wife.
In October last year, Bessah went to the complainant's room and threw a divorce certificate at her, directing her to leave her matrimonial home with her luggage and baggage for no reason.
The complainant read through the divorce certificate dated January 5, 2010 and notarized by Mr Samuel Boakye Yiadom, the 2nd Deputy Judicial Secretary.
The complainant was astonished as she had not been arraigned or aware of any divorce proceeding at any court. She, therefore, contacted her lawyers who reported the matter to the Police.
According to prosecution, investigation revealed that the case was filed at a Circuit Court which was presided over by Mr Justice Ofosu Quartey, a High Court Judge, who, in fact, had never presided over any such case.
Prosecution said the suit number of the case could also not be found at the Circuit Court Registry.
Also, Mr Boakye Yiadom, the Deputy Judicial Secretary and Mr S. F. Otoo, the Chief Registrar of the Circuit Court claimed they did not have any knowledge of the document, hence, described it as fake.
Asare Junior in his cautioned statement claimed that it was a "job" given to him by Charlotte, who said they were mere documents meant to facilitate visa acquisition.
Bessah, however, denied saying that he really sought for a divorce certificate after paying for a statutory fee and that the certificate was handed over to him to be served on his wife.
Latest Stories
-
Tell Your Story: Political, business and industry leaders to share journey with young Ghanaians
52 seconds -
‘Gold cannot save you at 2am’ – Obuobia Darko challenges mining giants to invest in healthcare
9 minutes -
Wontumi’s incarceration will not stop his chairmanship bid – Palgrave
18 minutes -
Eurobond borrowings over 2007-2021 used for budget financing; Ghana borrowed US$15.59bn – Opoku-Afari
22 minutes -
Newborn baby found in dustbin at Kasoa Main Station toilet
27 minutes -
Ghanaian skincare brand KAEME wins DHL ESG Excellence Exporter of the Year award
1 hour -
Ho Communique: Democracy Not for Sale
1 hour -
National Health Insurance Levy Uncapped: The Game Changer
1 hour -
Akwatia MP accuses Minority of shifting GoldBod debate from facts to personal attacks
2 hours -
Gov’t to spend GH¢2.8bn on secondary infrastructure as Education Minister pushes foundational learning
2 hours -
This is the result of GoldBod activities – Akim Oda MP demand answers over $1.7bn loss
2 hours -
Photos: Sammy Gyamfi at Government Accountability Series
2 hours -
Ghana School of Law SRC President-elect petitions authorities for relief for referred students
3 hours -
Promasidor Ghana unveils Onga Mix Tomato Paste, names Diana Hamilton brand ambassador
3 hours -
‘You admitted the loss, now account for the GH¢22bn’ – Minority hits back at GoldBod CEO
3 hours