Less than one week away from unveiling her new album Celia, Nigeria’s superstar singer-songwriter Tiwa Savage is giving fans one more taste of what’s to come – and this time, she’s got help.
On Monday, August. 24, Savage unveiled her new single “Temptation,” featuring pop superstar Sam Smith.
Through scintillating Afrobeat perfectly attuned to both her and Smith’s voices, Savage weaves a tale of a passionate but forbidden love affair, before passing the mic to Smith.
“The shape of your body replays in my mind,” Smith sings on the track’s second verse.
“The sound of your promises, echo in me deep inside.”
In an interview with Apple Music’s Zane Lowe, Savage said that while she knew she and her team had locked Smith in for a feature, she didn’t believe it was actually happening until she heard their vocals.
“I literally had goosebumps, because we don’t know how amazing Sam is. I was like, ‘Wow, this is incredible,'” she recalled.
“And it just changed the whole face of the project. Do you know what I mean? Because this is really happening for afrobeat, not even just with Tiwa.”
The star also spoke with Lowe about how afrobeat as a genre has helped bring African culture to a wider, mainstream audience — an accomplishment she’s particularly proud of.
“It’s a blessing to live and witness both, to see how it went from not being cool to being one of the most sought after genres,” she said.
“And not just that, the music is shining a different light on the continent … having huge legends like Beyoncé doing a movement such as Black is King, and shining just a different light on my continent, it’s just amazing.”
- 16 feared dead, over 40 injured in Gomoa Okyereko accident on Accra-Cape Coast highway
- Supreme Court ‘cautions and discharges’ NDC’s Kpessa Whyte after convicting him for contempt
- Pressure mounts on cedi; loses 9% in value to dollar last week
- Nigeria: Hilton Hotel owner, two workers sentenced to death for murder of student
- Bawumia picks NPP flagbearer nomination form
- AFCON 2023Q: Nuamah included, Sowah dropped as Hughton names Ghana squad to face Madagascar
- Parliament writes to EC, declares Assin North seat vacant
- 2023 U23 AFCON: Kamaldeen Sulemana to be called up to Black Meteors squad for tournament
- Learn your trade, don’t force a move from Ajax – Liverpool legend advises Ghana star Mohammed Kudus
- Resign and concentrate on your health; Ahanta West needs development – NDC tells Kojo Kum
- Gasonu’s family asks police to unravel cause of his death
- Government must engage labour on IMF deal – Austin Gamey
- Permit service personnel to teach you fire preventive measures – ADO2 Nartey
- We have burden-shared enough, government needs to show commitment – GRNMA
- Arrest made in killing of New Jersey council woman Eunice Dwumfour
- Government should brace itself for a possible showdown should it attempt salary reduction – GRNMA
- Fire burns Madina-Ritz junction again
- UCC’s Prof David Teye Doku named best Social Sciences and Humanities Scientist in Ghana
- Prof Gyampo slams Akufo-Addo over presidency’s request for CVs of senior EC officials
- Petrol, diesel prices to stay same; LPG to go down 5% – IES
- Prudential Life Insurance targets informal sector with ‘Mekakrawa’ insurance policy
- STEM education: Afia Kobi SHS students build model aircraft to aid maritime surveillance
- Cigar smoked by Sir Winston Churchill nearly 80 years ago up for auction
- Bofoakwa Tano seal Ghana Premier League return after beating Eleven Wonders on penalties
- National Cathedral: We need $100m to import steel for work to proceed – Dr Opoku Mensah