Audio By Carbonatix
US President-elect Donald Trump will find a way to save TikTok before a ban on the app is due to take effect this weekend, his incoming national security adviser has said.
Congressman Mike Waltz, a Florida Republican, said Trump would intervene if the Supreme Court upholds a law that bans the platform in the US unless it is sold by 19 January.
In its last week, the Biden administration is also looking for ways to prevent TikTok from suddenly disappearing, reports NBC News.
Chinese owner ByteDance has said it plans to shut off the app for its 170 million US users by Sunday.
"We will put measures in place to keep TikTok from going dark," said Waltz on Thursday.
He noted that the law allows a 90-day extension for ByteDance if significant progress has been made towards a sale.
"Essentially that buys President Trump time to keep TikTok going," said Waltz.
A day earlier the incoming national security adviser hinted on Fox News that Trump was planning an executive order in an effort to suspend the ban.
However, it is unclear whether any such measure could circumvent a law passed by Congress.
The app has been banned on national security grounds, because of concerns that its data could be collected by the Chinese Communist Party.
But according to the New York Times, Trump has invited the chief executive of TikTok, Shou Zi Chew, to attend his presidential inauguration next Monday, sitting in a position of honour on the dais.
Latest Stories
-
Local insurers equipped to underwrite marine and aviation cargo risks – Boampong
4 minutes -
Trump’s Board of Peace members pledge $7bn in Gaza relief
9 minutes -
Bolt Food reinforces FDA hygiene permit requirement for merchant Partners on its platform
14 minutes -
Former Senegal international Faty opens up about racism
19 minutes -
Ghana retains top spot in GSMA’s 2025 mobile money regulatory index
26 minutes -
Ghana moves to international arbitration over maritime boundary with Togo
26 minutes -
Grey’s Anatomy star Eric Dane dies at 53 after ALS diagnosis
27 minutes -
Greater Accra Regional Hospital confirms assault on security officer; suspect arrested
40 minutes -
Fiifi Coleman  to revive ‘I Told You So’ as stage play in MarchÂ
1 hour -
Ghana hosts high-level ministerial meeting on women and youth political participation
1 hour -
I was a top English and Fante student in secondary school – Kwaw KeseÂ
1 hour -
UK Prisoner set to be deported to Ghana escapes police for second time in a week
2 hours -
PHDC, GNPC form new alliance to strengthen Ghana’s energy security
2 hours -
Bishops warn of deepening cocoa crisis and call for farmer relief
2 hours -
Gold Fields to hand over Damang Mine to Ghana in April 2026
2 hours
