Audio By Carbonatix
Twin sisters believed to be Amsterdam's oldest prostitutes have retired after more than 50 years each in the sex trade.
Louise and Martine Fokkens, 70, have finally decided they are too old for the business after claiming to have slept with 355,000 men between them in a combined 100-year career.
Louise, a mother of four, has said her arthritis now makes some sexual positions 'too painful'.
And mother-of-three Martine admits she is finding it hard to attract new punters - except one elderly man who still comes for his weekly sado-maschism session.
She said: 'I couldn't give him up. He's been coming to me for so long it's like going to church on a Sunday.'
The pair were the subject of a documentary film last year called Meet the Fokkens, and have now written a book about their combined 100-years of sexual exploits called The Ladies of Amsterdam.
Both women - who usually dress in identical red clothes - became prostitutes before the age of 20 to survive financially after escaping violent relationships.
They now look back on the 'golden years' of the profession before the Netherlands legalised prostitution and the sex trade was invaded by 'eastern European mafia'.
Louise said: 'It is very different now. We used to sit in the windows with clothes on. Today they are totally naked.
'There are few Dutch women and no sense of community these days.'
Martine added: 'The legalisation of brothels in 2000 has not improved prostitutes' lives.
'There is no point working just for tax. That is why the girls are working from the internet and from home - you are less likely to be spotted by the taxman.
'It is better for the pimps and the foreigners, but not for the Dutch girls.'
Martine and Louise said they now hoped to be able to live off their earnings from the book and film rights.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Only 16% of Ghana health facilities meet basic sanitation standard — WHO / UNICEF
17 seconds -
Competence has no age; let’s stop punishing new businesses
16 minutes -
JoyNews Republic Bank Habitat Fair 2026 opens today at Achimota Mall
20 minutes -
What Is Wrong With Us: The roads that keep counting our dead
24 minutes -
MTN condemns recent xenophobic attacks on Ghanaians in South Africa
28 minutes -
Philip Nai: What happens at your front desk can make or break your brand
39 minutes -
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
2 hours -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
2 hours -
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
2 hours -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
2 hours -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
2 hours -
Supreme Court to rule on injunction application on legal vacation today
2 hours -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
2 hours -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
3 hours -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
3 hours