Audio By Carbonatix
The United States on Monday accused Iran of launching cyber operations against the campaigns of both U.S. presidential candidates and targeting the American public with influence operations aimed at fanning political discord.
"We have observed increasingly aggressive Iranian activity during this election cycle," said a statement by the FBI, the Office of the Director of National Intelligence and the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, which oversees the defence of government computer systems.
The statement confirmed charges made earlier this month by the campaign of Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump that Iran hacked one of its websites, triggering an FBI investigation.
At that time, Trump said Iran was "only able to get publicly available information."
Iran, the U.S. statement said, also has targeted the campaign of Vice President Kamala Harris, who is to officially accept the Democratic Party's presidential nomination at this week's convention.
Iran's mission to the United Nations issued a statement calling the allegations "unsubstantiated and devoid of any standing.

"As we have previously announced, the Islamic Republic of Iran harbours neither the intention nor the motive to interfere with the U.S. presidential election."
The U.S. statement said Iran has conducted influence operations targeting the American public in a bid to fan political divisions and "cyber operations targeting presidential campaigns."
"This includes the recently reported activities to compromise former President Trump's campaign, which the IC (intelligence community) attributes to Iran," it continued.
It said the intelligence community is confident Iranian operatives using social engineering and other means "sought access to individuals with direct access to the presidential campaigns of both parties," the statement said.
Those activities included thefts and disclosures "intended to influence the U.S. election process," the statement added, without elaborating.
Latest Stories
-
Gov’t targets petroleum upstream recovery after five years of consecutive decline
2 minutes -
TUC welcomes ICJ ruling affirming workers’ right to strike
30 minutes -
NDC teachers launch grassroots political drive in Western North
52 minutes -
GN Savings and Loans to reopen first branch in Elmina – Nduom
1 hour -
Mr Eazi’s Zagadat Capital acquires 17.31 per cent stake in Intravenous Infusions PLC
2 hours -
Usyk keeps titles with controversial Verhoeven stoppage
2 hours -
Suspect killed after opening fire on Secret Service near White House
2 hours -
Mahama, Macron push new chapter on reparatory justice
3 hours -
Ghana Institute of Architects cracks down on fake architects and illegal practice
3 hours -
Ghana to destroy over 4,000 illegal weapons in nationwide arms amnesty exercise
3 hours -
Headmen and Queen Mothers meet in Binde to promote lasting peace in Mamprugu Kingdom
4 hours -
Tension in Kasoa: Assembly pulls down shops for 24-hour economy project
5 hours -
FIFA World Cup: Iran moves camp from USA to Mexico, amid ongoing conflict
5 hours -
Eastern Regional Minister halts Koforidua China Mall project over severe flooding
5 hours -
Tamale police arrest suspect with large quantities of drugs
6 hours