Ghana Captain Asamoah Gyan has hailed Golden Eaglets attacking midfielder Taiwo Awoniyi for putting up a superlative display to help Nigeria secure a 4-1 victory over Iran in the Round of 16 of the FIFA U17 World Cup taking place in the United Arab Emirates.
Awoniyi, who have become a midfield maestro since replacing injured Success Isaac in Nigeria’s 3-3 draw with Sweden in their second game of the competition, was the engine room when the West Africans beat Iran to book a quarter final ticket.
With Gyan at the stand to watch the game in Al Ain, the Ghana international could not hide his feelings for the young lad.
-I like him, that No18, Awoniyi. He does all the work up there and creates a lot, he told fifa.com.
-This is my kind of player.
Nigeria take on Uruguay in the quarter final on Saturday, and Awoniyi is expected to help Nigeria go through.
- I have received calls to stop disconnection exercise – ECG boss
- Bride ‘faints’ briefly as Joe Mettle pops up at her wedding reception
- We are one people – Bawumia and Mahama laud peaceful enskinment of new Yagbonwura
- Ato Forson was criminally reckless in ambulance transaction – Attorney General
- Your electricity bill does not have a party colour – ECG MD
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- Ghana Immigration Service cancels filling of embarkation and disembarkation cards
- We’ll meter all distribution transformers to fight power theft – Samuel Mahama
- AFCON 2023Q: Goalpost collapses and injures Wollacott in training
- GNFS expresses reservation over reopening of Kejetia Market
- Directing CID to Jubilee House ‘galamsey’ claims could be plot to clear officials of wrongdoing – Dr Apaak
- Government must commit to Water Action Agenda – WaterAid Ghana
- Gold-for-Oil program will be impacted by attack on our Benso site – Golden Star Wassa Limited
- The Macallan hosts Accra’s entertainment and business industries to splendid experience
- Akufo-Addo awards Emirates with Presidential Honour for Distinguished Service in fight against COVID-19
- My divorce drew me closer to God – New EC member Rev. Akua Ofori Boateng
- NYA lauds District Assembly Common Fund for role in Youth Resource Centres construction
- Crackdown on fraudulent payrolls as Fair Wages and Salaries Commission hint at audit
- I love listening to music more than recording – Kelvyn Boy
- Bring Mohammed Muntaka to book – NDC executives told
- Uganda Anti-Homosexuality bill: Life in prison for saying you’re gay
- Oforikrom Assembly signs MoU with Crops Research Institute to improve vegetable production
- Woman arrested for cooking after reopening of Kejetia Market
- Saudi government provides parcels to Muslims ahead of Ramadan
- African scientists urge governments to invest in appropriate regulatory mechanisms for biotech products