Audio By Carbonatix
Ofcom has made "urgent contact" with Elon Musk's company xAI following reports that its AI tool Grok can be used to make "sexualised images of children" and undress women.
A spokesperson for the regulator said it was also investigating concerns that Grok has been producing "undressed images" of people.
The BBC has seen several examples on the social media platform X of people asking the chatbot to alter real images to make women appear in bikinis without their consent, as well as putting them in sexual situations.
X has not responded to a request for comment. On Sunday, it issued a warning to users not to use Grok to generate illegal content, including child sexual abuse material.
Elon Musk also posted to say anyone who asks the AI to generate illegal content would "suffer the same consequences" as if they uploaded it themselves.
XAI's own acceptable use policy prohibits "depicting likenesses of persons in a pornographic manner", but people have been using Grok to undress people without their consent digitally.
Images of Catherine, Princess of Wales, were among many that were digitally de-clothed by Grok users on X.
The BBC has approached Kensington Palace for comment.
The European Commission - the EU's enforcement arm - said on Monday it was "seriously looking into this matter", and authorities in France, Malaysia and India were reportedly assessing the situation.
Meanwhile, the UK's Internet Watch Foundation told the BBC it had received reports from the public relating to images generated by Grok on X.
But it said it had so far not seen images which would cross the UK's legal threshold to be considered child sexual abuse imagery.
'Appalling' and 'disgusting'
Grok is a free virtual assistant with some paid-for premium features that responds to X users' prompts when they tag it in a post.
Samantha Smith, a journalist who discovered users had used the AI to create pictures of her in a bikini, told the BBC's PM programme on Friday it had left her feeling "dehumanised and reduced into a sexual stereotype".
"While it wasn't me that was in states of undress, it looked like me, and it felt like me, and it felt as violating as if someone had actually posted a nude or a bikini picture of me," she said.
Under the Online Safety Act (OSA), Ofcom says it is illegal to create or share intimate or sexually explicit images - including "deepfakes" created with AI - of a person without their consent.
Tech firms are also expected to take "appropriate steps" to reduce the risk of UK users encountering such content and to take it down "quickly" when made aware of it.
Dame Chi Onwurah, chair of the Science, Innovation and Technology Committee, said the reports were "deeply disturbing".
She said the Committee found the OSA to be "woefully inadequate" and called it "a shocking example of how UK citizens are left unprotected whilst social media companies act with impunity".
And she called on the government to adopt the Committee's recommendations to compel social media platforms to "to take greater responsibility for their content".
Meanwhile, European Commission spokesperson Thomas Regnier said on Monday it was aware of posts made by Grok "showing explicit sexual content," as well as "some output generated with childlike images".
"This is illegal," he said, also calling it "appalling" and "disgusting".
"This is how we see it, and this has no place in Europe," he said.
Regnier said X was "well aware" the EU was "very serious" about enforcing its rules for digital platforms - having handed X a €120m (£104m) fine in December for breaching its Digital Services Act.
A Home Office spokesperson said it was legislating to ban nudification tools, and under a new criminal offence, anyone who supplied such tech would "face a prison sentence and substantial fines".
Latest Stories
-
Panic in Sunyani: Chiefs to perform rituals after mystery deaths of two successive headteachers
6 minutes -
“It is worrying” – Prof. Akosa sounds alarm over failing medical ethics
31 minutes -
World Cup reality check: Mexico beat fringe Black Stars 2-0 in Puebla friendly
43 minutes -
Black Stars lose 2-0 to Mexico in pre-World Cup friendly in Puebla
2 hours -
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
2 hours -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
2 hours -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
3 hours -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
3 hours -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
5 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
5 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
6 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
6 hours -
Lupita Nyong’o rejects criticism of Helen of Troy role
7 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
7 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
8 hours