Ghana has presented a customised Black Stars jersey to the UN Secretary Gen Antonio Guterres at the UN Headquarters on Friday.
This was on the sidelines of Security Council meetings which Ghana is Presiding over this month.
Ghana plays in Group H with Mr Guterres’ country, Portugal, on November 24 at the World Cup in Qatar.
“This jersey is a gift from President Akufo-Addo. I’m sure the value will go up when we win the World Cup,” Ghana’s Permanent Representative at the UN, Harold Agyeman told Mr Guterres.
In response, the Secretary-General said, “the colour of the jersey is just like that of (Portuguese club) Benfica, the team I support.”
Mr Guterres told his staff to keep the shirt securely in case Ghana did, in fact, win the World Cup.
He was also presented with a wood and glass-framed shirt in white, autographed by the Black Stars players.
President Akufo-Addo is due to address the Security Council on November 10.
Ghana is using its two-year term on the council, which began in January this year, to bring the world’s attention to the root causes of insecurity in Africa, especially in the Sahel and West Africa, and press for innovations in peace-keeping mandates.
- Father and daughter die in a gory accident at Ejisu-Onwe
- Bodies of 10 civilians allegedly killed by soldiers released to families for burial
- 12 persons arrested for involvement in robbery, murder cases
- Celebrities, luxury cars flood social media as Kwame Despite sparks reaction with birthday
- Women have been misled about menopause says New York Times
- I couldn’t attend PRESEC-Legon because our cocoa farm got burnt – Seth Terkper
- ‘I am a fixer, not a talker’ – Dr Osei Adutwum tells critics
- It is unreasonable for Opuni’s case to drag on for 6 years – Attorney General
- Ghana’s School of Shame: My statement was ‘photoshopped’ – Dr Adutwum
- Teachers held over video of pupils simulating sex
- Don’t engage military in combat – Upper East REGSEC to Bawku residents
- I feel pain after sex with my husband of 9 years, I don’t know how to tell him – Emotionally troubled woman
- Andre Ayew set to reunite with Steve Cooper at Nottingham Forest
- We ‘neutralised’ 6 armed men in Bawku – GAF on allegations of killing 7 locals
- Mason Greenwood attempted rape charges dropped
- Military officers rescue NEDCo staff locked up for disconnecting UDS from power supply
- AGI unhappy with level of tariffs increment for beverage sector; warns of collapse of industries
- eTranzact adjudged ‘Leading Fintech Solution Provider’, grabs 2 other top awards
- Nigeria election: Biometric voting system, other reforms commendable –
- My goal is to make an impact with my craft – DWP Academy US manager
- Birim River is one of the most polluted water bodies – Cecilia Dapaah
- France defender Varane retires from international football
- Chiefs of Techiman describe Alan as ‘true son of the soil’
- Thousands of Nigerians file pollution cases against Shell
- Mascara: What is the TikTok trend all about?