One person has so far been confirmed dead and four others suffered various injuries when a public toilet caved in at Kasoa Saturday morning.

The deceased was among the five people pulled out of the rubble.

The 28-seater toilet facility for both male and female is located close to the traffic light along the Kasoa-Bawdwiase road.

The Budumburam Fire Station Officer, Emmanuel Armah who led the rescue operation confirmed the death and told Joy News he has ordered the immediate closure of the facility.

He had told Joy News that “We have finished the operation,” and after drilling and excavating the pit, they “found only one man he is called Raphael in the pit. We have sent him to the mortuary.”

Emmanuel Armah added that “The toilet is very old and we have spoken to the Assembly to close the toilet immediately. We are going to demolish [it],” he said.

An eye witness had early on told Myjoyonline.com there were 14 people trapped but that has since been dismissed.

Myjoyonline.com’s Dorcas Efe Mensah, who visited the scene, reported that a second combing of the rubble was ordered to ensure no persons were left under the broken wall.

Tags: