Audio By Carbonatix
The Volta Lake has broken its banks leading to the displacement of 2,500 residents from nine communities within the Pru East District.
The victims comprise 1,302 males and females 1,252, according to the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO).
Communities affected are Kobre Nsuano, Pentecost Nsuano, Adiembra, Fanteakura, Tokobikope, Tonka, Agokope, Logakope and others.
The Pru East District NADMO Director, Fredrick Ndila Ntana in a media interview said the victims have been relocated to higher grounds.
“So far we have about over nine communities which are affected by the floods. These are Fanteakura, Birikente, Tokobikope, Accra Town, Kobre Nsuano, Who Are You, and many others.”
“And so now we have about 2554 people displaced and these are the breakdown. The males are 1,302 and the females are 1,252…we have relocated them to the highest grounds,” he said.
It will also be recalled that over 26,000 people have been displaced following the spillage of the Akosombo dam in various communities in the Volta and Eastern regions.
The Volta River Authority (VRA) commenced controlled spillage from the Akosombo and Kpong Dams on September 15, 2023, due to a consistent rise in the inflow pattern and water level of the Akosombo reservoir.
Thousands of residents in South Tongu, North Tongu, Central Tongu, Asuogyaman, and several other areas have had homes submerged due to the spillage.
Meanwhile, benevolent organisations and individuals have donated some relief items to the to ensure their plights are ameliorated.
Latest Stories
-
Tennessee execution called off after failed lethal injection
17 minutes -
Jailed Vietnamese tycoon’s Birkin bags sell for more than $550K
28 minutes -
Elon Musk’s SpaceX postpones Starship launch
37 minutes -
Alberta to hold referendum on whether to remain in Canada
47 minutes -
Rubio says Cuba is threat to US as Havana accuses him of ‘lies’
56 minutes -
Village in Juaben celebrates Villa win with parade
4 hours -
Three police officers to accompany 10,000 England fans at World Cup
4 hours -
Haaland and Odegaard head Norway World Cup squad
4 hours -
Up to 350 jobs under threat at Meta in Ireland
5 hours -
Arteta told of title win by crying son – while having barbecue
5 hours -
Meta settles social media addiction case with US school district
5 hours -
Southampton’s Eckert authorised spying missions
5 hours -
Foden and Palmer to miss out on World Cup squad
5 hours -
Hamilton says he has no plans to retire from F1
5 hours -
Nvidia’s latest record earnings fail to impress investors
5 hours