Audio By Carbonatix
Linda Akweley Ocloo, the Greater Accra Regional Minister, has appealed to traders affected by the recent fire outbreak at the Kwame Nkrumah Circle to cooperate with the Ayawaso Central Municipal Assembly to facilitate the redevelopment of the site.
She assured the traders that upon completion of the redevelopment, all verified traders would be allocated spaces to resume trading.
Madam Ocloo made the appeal on Wednesday when she visited the fire scene behind the Royal VVIP Station at Circle to assess the extent of damage and commiserate with affected traders.
The fire, which occurred on Tuesday around 1000 hours, gutted more than 50 makeshift shops and wooden structures, sending thick black smoke into the sky and causing panic in the busy transport enclave.
She said officials from the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) were tasked to undertake an initial assessment of the incident, while the Ghana National Fire Service was expected to submit a detailed report on the cause of the fire.
“The cause of the fire is not yet known because we are still waiting for feedback from the Fire Service,” she said.
Madam Ocloo noted that prior to the incident, the Assembly had raised concerns about congestion and unsafe activities at the site, including cooking, drinking spots, and people sleeping in the area.
She revealed that more than 50 gas cylinders were retrieved from the site during the fire, describing the situation as a major safety risk.
“We have been advising the traders to take precautions, especially when cooking, to ensure gas cylinders are properly turned off and disconnected, but unfortunately, these incidents keep recurring.”
The Regional Minister explained that access to the site was a challenge, delaying firefighting efforts, noting that some walls had to be broken to allow fire tenders to reach the scene.
The Assembly, she said, had been directed to clear the debris while government awaited the Fire Service report to guide further action.
Madam Ocloo assured victims of government support but cautioned that losses incurred over years of investment could not be fully recovered.
“This frequent fire outbreak at market centres is becoming unbecoming. Government will support the victims, but traders must also understand that prevention is key,” she added.
Mr Rudolph Collingwoode-Williams, the Municipal Chief Executive of Ayawaso Central, said the Assembly would first secure and re-plan the area to improve access roads, sanitation, fire safety, and structural layout.
He indicated that an inventory would be conducted to establish affected traders and determine appropriate support measures.
“Compensation may not necessarily be cash. In some cases, traders may be required to pay a minimal amount for new shops, far below market value, to ensure fairness and sustainability,” he noted.
Mr Collingwoode-Williams urged the traders to remain calm and cooperate with the Assembly as efforts were made to prevent future occurrences.
Some victims appealed for urgent assistance.
Ms Priscilla Oforiwaa, a seller of sachet water, drinks, biscuits, and toffees, said she lost all her belongings, including money and personal effects.
“We are sleeping at the police station. I haven’t eaten since yesterday. We are begging the government and the public to help us,” she said tearfully.
Another victim, Alhaji Rahman, a trader in mobile phones and accessories, said he lost everything to the blaze.
“Everything got burnt, including our money. We are pleading with the government to come to our aid,” he said.
The fire, which occurred on Tuesday around 1000 hours, gutted more than 50 makeshift shops and wooden structures, sending thick black smoke into the sky and causing panic in the busy transport enclave.
Although no casualties were recorded in the Tuesday fire, kiosks stocked with goods, household items, gas cylinders, and electrical appliances were destroyed.
Investigations into the cause are ongoing.
Latest Stories
-
Accra Mayor empowers 88 PWDs with working tools, start-up capital worth over GH¢300,000
3 minutes -
Moon sighting for Ramadan 2026 set for February 18 – Office of Chief Imam
29 minutes -
NAIMOS task force cracks down on galamsey in Ashanti Region over Valentine’s weekend
47 minutes -
OSP goofed and must tell Ghanaians the truth – Frank Davies reacts to Red Notice decision
57 minutes -
Today’s Front Pages: Monday, February 16, 2026
1 hour -
‘Victory in 2028 won’t be gifted to us’ – Bawumia urges discipline, unity in NPP
2 hours -
Lordina Mahama announces completion of 3 modern maternity and children’s wards
2 hours -
IOM, Fidelity Bank Ghana Ltd partner to boost financial literacy for Ghanaian returnees
2 hours -
There is nothing wrong with being arrested as a politician – Afenyo-Markin urges NPP unity
2 hours -
Fact-based response to misleading narratives on JG Resources Ltd’s gold trade dispute
2 hours -
WHY Dr Bawumia must retain NAPO as running mate: Consistency, loyalty and strategy are good in politics
2 hours -
GNFS prevents petrol tanker explosion at Aveme Junction
2 hours -
Hindsight: Garbage in, garbage out
2 hours -
Gender Ministry condemns alleged digital sexual exploitation by foreign national, vows legal action
2 hours -
‘We realised the mess left behind’ – Asiedu Nketia blames Akufo-Addo gov’t for cocoa crisis
3 hours
