Audio By Carbonatix
The Minister for Food and Agriculture, Dr Bryan Acheampong is projecting prices of foodstuffs will go down by more than 50 per cent in the coming months.
According to him, the government has implemented measures to improve food production and also support farmers from the negative impact of the recent dry spell.
“Because of this, we are expecting prices to go down, up to April next year, and this is based on verifiable data at the Agric Ministry”, he said.
“We are beginning to see the results of prices of some foodstuffs going down around March and April this year”, he added.
Dr Acheampong disclosed this on PM EXPRESS Business Edition on October 10, 2024, with host George Wiafe.
The discussion looked at the State of Ghana’s Food Security and the recent measures introduced by the government to contain the dry spell.
He announced that government has supplied 200,000 metric tonnes of fertilizer to farmers.
“Government is also working to invest about 80-million-dollar worth of inputs into the market, that will help keep prices at some very low levels going forward”, he added.
Dry spell measures and concerns
Dr Acheampong assured that the government is working hard to provide relief to only farmers affected by the recent dry spell.
“Over the years, the Agric Ministry has led a lot of initiatives that extend support to farmers and the data is there for everyone to verify the beneficiaries”, he said.
He pledged that all farmers affected by the dry spell will be adequately supported to boost the country’s food stock.
“We have instituted several measures that will ensure that the affected persons get the inputs needed”.
Speaking on the interest-free loans extended to farmers, Dr Acheampong said the aid will go to commercial farmers who suffered from the dry spell.
“We have about GH₵50 million and the government is planning to use that to take up the interest cost on these loans”, he revealed.
He assured that the loans would not be “handouts”, but rather channelled through the Agricultural Development Bank to support the farmers.
He rejected arguments the outlook for the food supply is bleak, arguing that the future looks promising.
He disclosed that the ministry has so far been able to secure about GH₵3.6 billion out of the GH₵8 billion target.
Latest Stories
-
One dead, 4 injured in articulated truck collision at Assin Nsuta
3 minutes -
To Nationalise or Transform? Joy Business Hosts Roundtable on Ghana’s Extractive Future
7 minutes -
NACOC partners UPSA-RCC to train enumerators for baseline study on substance use among youth
13 minutes -
Kay Codjoe Writes: The dangerous romance between inciteful extremism and “free speech”
23 minutes -
From Ghana to Canada: The rising influence of Ghanaian scholars opening global doors for students
28 minutes -
Gender Ministry backs Black Maidens ahead of crucial World Cup qualifiers
31 minutes -
Many are called, but hostel fees have chosen few
38 minutes -
8 suspects arrested in killing of queen mother at Atebubu
45 minutes -
Raúl Castro indictment threatens to ignite war between US and Cuba
1 hour -
2026 Africa Bitcoin Day marked in Accra
1 hour -
US sanctions Tanzanian police official over alleged torture of human rights activists
1 hour -
Borrowing in April hit highest level since Covid
1 hour -
NCCE urges students, young people to lead fight against corruption
1 hour -
AI used to fake evidence that ended Korean actor’s career, say police
1 hour -
Swiss Armed Forces delegation engages GAF over peacekeeping cooperation at Burma Camp
1 hour