Audio By Carbonatix
Father of a second-year Gold track student at the Accra Girls Senior High School says news about the school recording some cases of Covid-19 left him and his wife with sleepless nights.
Salifu Dabre said he and his wife could not help but worry about their daughter when they were informed about the matter.
“Before she left for school, I advised her to observe all the protocols, after all, they were going to spend only six weeks in school but when news broke that Accra Girls had recorded six cases, in fact, I got scared.
"If I tell you what happened between myself and her mum; my wife and I could not sleep. The whole day her mum had to keep me up, insisting I go and find out the status of my daughter in the school," he said on Ghana Connect, Friday.
Mr Dabre is among parents who rushed to the Accra Girls Senior High School to pick up their wards after news broke that some students have tested positive for the coronavirus.
At least eight cases had been recorded at that time.
He had gone to pick up his daughter but was denied access by school authorities, a situation he said compelled him to picket with other parents at the entrance of the school.
He further indicated that the agitations of parents got worse when school authorities refused to communicate with them about what was happening in the school.
"We are parents and for that matter, we are major stakeholders as far as the running of the school is concerned but school authorities did not inform us. We picked a feed from the media that the school has recorded 6 positive cases and then we try to find out from the school and yet nobody wanted to tell us anything.
"We tried to find out from our reps in the school that is the PTA but they were also not prepared to speak. Sometimes we relied on teachers for information on matters concerning our wards but they also were not willing to speak on that," he added.
He also stated that parents still rely on speculations [as their source of information] because school authorities would still not open up on the matter.
"School authorities are not prepared to update us, they are not prepared to talk, so we know the situation there. We have a common Whatsapp platform for parents which we hoped the authorities would reach us on, at least for the assurance of our wards safety but that did not happen as well," he said.
Meanwhile Accra Girls Senior High School continues to be the leading SHS with the highest confirmed cases of Covid-19.
As of 13th July, 2020, it had recorded a total of 55 cases involving both students and teachers.
Seven of them have recovered.
Latest Stories
-
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
24 minutes -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
28 minutes -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
41 minutes -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
57 minutes -
NAIMOS arrest one foreign national and 7 Ghanaians in anti-galamsey operation in Ashanti Region
57 minutes -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
57 minutes -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
58 minutes -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
1 hour -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
1 hour -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
1 hour -
Mahama’s STEM push aims to build curious, creative students – Haruna Iddrisu
2 hours -
Swimming stakeholders call for legitimate governance and constitutional elections in Ghana Swimming
2 hours -
Akatsi Police seize suspected cannabis consignment, driver escapes
2 hours -
EU investment in Ghana reaches $16bn – GIPC’s Boss
2 hours -
GPSCP II and TCDA partner to boost regulation and investment in tree crops sector
2 hours