The National Organiser of the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) has said the party’s Ayawaso West Wuogon MP will run unopposed in the upcoming primaries.
Sammi Awuku explained Lydia Alhassan has only held the office for a year; owing to a by-election in January 2019 after the previous occupant passed on.
At the time of the December 2020 general elections, Ms Alhassan would have been in power for two years.
Per the party’s recently adopted conventions, an MP who came to power through a by-election and holds the position for two or less years to a general election would be allowed to contest unopposed, Mr Awuku explained.
He said the only exception to allowing other candidates to contest is if the MP decides not to run for re-election.
“Or unless the said MP displays gross misconduct,” he said.
Since this is not the case, Mr Awuku said Lydia Alhassan would be running unopposed in the Ayawaso West Wuogon primaries of the NPP.
John Dumelo will represent the opposition NDC
If approved by delegates, the parliamentarian faces a stiff contest from the National Democratic Congress’s John Dumelo who won his party’s primaries in August 2019.
Mr Dumelo, actor, farmer and philanthropist is bidding for his first national political office and hopes to wrestle the seat from the governing party.
- We were never consulted on NDC Parliamentary leadership reshuffle – Muntaka Mubarak
- Minority Leadership reshuffle an affront to dignity of NDC Caucus – Dr. Dominic Ayine
- Financial crisis has affected my GH¢106k investment – Agyinasare
- Tullow Oil challenges GRA over $300m tax imposition
- ‘I’ve had frank conversations with Haruna Iddrisu’ – Ato Forson reveals
- NDC national executives to meet Minority Caucus over reshuffle
- Stonebwoy thanks Asamoah Gyan for paying for his surgery 7 years ago
- Debt Exchange Programme: Government reaches agreement with Ghana Insurers Association
- Consultations are not mandatory – Dr. Spio-Garbrah on change in Minority leadership
- Haruna Iddrisu, Muntaka Mubarak still leaders of Minority Caucus – Cletus Avoka
- Mahama speaks on Africa’s strategic priorities at Chatham House
- Pusiga celebrates late philanthropist’s 67 years changing lives
- Debt Exchange Programme: Jubilee House, EMT against inclusion of individual bondholders – Bright Simons
- National Labour Commission directs CETAG to call off strike
- Pope Francis appoints Rev Fr Samuel Nkuah-Boateng as Bishop of Wiawso Diocese
- Court threatens to strike out case against Agradaa
- Asiedu Nketia leads party delegation to attend Mahama-led lecture in UK
- George Ferguson Laing: Why the looming water crisis may be a glimmer of hope for climate awareness
- Change in Minority Leadership: Rescind decision – Dr Amoako Baah tells NDC national executive
- The Story of Prophet Elisha: Case Study of Apprenticeship for Ghana – Part Two
- Elon Musk denies Twitter use hurts Tesla as sales soar
- Haruna Iddrisu disclaims posts on Facebook, Twitter handles purported to be his
- Africa Business Dialogues: Bawumia proposes focus on 3 broad areas for AfCFTA success
- Playback: PM Express Business edition discuss Debt Exchange Programme with Alhassan Andani
- Change in Minority Leadership: We cannot refuse to recognise the lawful decision – Kofi Adams