The head of the World Trade Organisation says Africa is working with the European Union and other partners to create regional hubs to produce vaccines.
Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala said facilities would be established in South Africa, Senegal and Rwanda. Nigeria is also being considered.
She said the over-centralisation of vaccine production was incompatible with equitable access, especially during a health crisis.
French President Emmanuel Macron said he was “delighted” by the news, saying the South Africa hub was going to be the first of many, news agency AFP reports.
Africa is facing a major shortage of coronavirus jabs. The United Nations has urged countries that can to donate surplus supplies to the continent.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
- ECG releases load shedding timetable for March 30 to April 7
- TikToker Ahuofe ‘Ghana Tupac’ dead
- Chief of Mujipe shot dead, son in critical condition
- Larabanga Accident: Level 200 student dead, 3 others in critical condition
- Social media users react to TikToker Ahoufe’s death
- BoG denies introduction of ¢500 coin, note
- We will resume picketing if government fails to honour payment in 2-weeks – Pensioner bondholders
- Where’s the so-called excess capacity? – John Jinapor quizzes government over load shedding timetable
- Adom FM climaxes Ghana Month celebrations with splendid cultural durbar
- Proposed taxes are draconian – Seth Terkper
- We need a hospital built purposely for Members of Parliament – Henry Quartey
- North Dayi District Assembly committed to improving livelihoods of PwDs – DCE
- High Court issues bench warrant for Savelugu MP
- Enterprise Group PLC appoints Keli Gadzekpo as Group Chairman
- We hope our colleagues will help pass the 3 tax measures – Oppong Nkrumah
- Justice system has not worked for Gyakye Quayson, Assin North constituents – Mahama
- Oscar Pistorius parole bid collapses in South Africa
- This Saturday on Newsfile
- Health officer in court for allegedly defiling two teenagers at Nkwanta
- Gbewaa College incurs over GHȻ7k debt weekly to feed teacher trainees – Principal
- GAEC partners EU, IAEA UNICRI to fight organised criminal activities
- What are we on earth for? – Henry Quartey mourns death of Kumawu MP
- Online safety: Fund seeks applicants for grant awards
- Music producer Kaywa loses mother
- The Multimedia Group’s Adom brand ends Ghana month with colourful cultural display