Audio By Carbonatix
President Volodymyr Zelensky has sacked the commander of Ukraine's air force amid debate over the destruction of one of the country's valuable new F-16 fighter jets.
Mr Zelensky did not specify the reason for dismissing Lt Gen Mykola Oleshchuk, but said he had a responsibility to "take care of all our warriors".
The US-made F-16 - one of several delivered earlier this month by Ukraine's Western allies - went down on Monday, killing the pilot.
Even though it happened during a barrage of Russian missiles, Ukraine said the cause of the crash was not a direct result of an enemy strike, and Lt Gen Oleshchuk sparred with some politicians over who was to blame for the loss.
Russia launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022 and has seized a large part of territory in the east of the country.
But Ukraine also launched a surprise incursion into Russia's western Kursk region early this month - and says its troops have been advancing deeper into Russia.
In response, Russia has intensified its attacks across Ukraine.
On Friday, a 14-year-old girl was killed after a Russian guided bomb hit a playground in the north-eastern Ukrainian city of Kharkiv, local officials say.
At least six other people were killed and 59 injured as a 12-storey residential building was also hit in the city which is close to the Russian border.
President Zelensky renewed his calls for all Ukraine's international partners to allow it to hit targets inside Russia to prevent such attacks.
His office said Moscow's forces had fired more than 400 drones and missiles at Ukraine over the past week.
In a post on Telegram, Mr Zelensky said he had decided to replace Lt Gen Oleschuk, noting that "at the command level, we must strengthen ourselves and protect our people".
Ukraine's air force earlier named the killed pilot as Col Oleksiy Mes.
"He fought heroically his last battle in the skies," it said, adding that he had shot down three cruise missiles and a drone on 26 August.
Col Mes, whose call sign was Moonfish, was one of Ukraine's most experienced pilots. He had been trained abroad for F-16 missions.
Lt Gen Anatolii Kryvonozhko was appointed interim commander of Ukraine's air force, the army's general staff said in a statement. He previously oversaw the central air command, leading operations in the centre of the country.
He takes charge as officials have clashed over the loss of the F-16 jet, which has ignited fierce debate in Ukraine.
Ukrainian politician Mariana Bezuhla, who sits on a parliamentary defence committee, claimed on Thursday that the jet was downed by Ukraine's Patriot air defence system.
Mr Oleshchuk responded earlier on Friday that an investigation was under way and no-one was hiding anything. He accused Ms Bezuhla of discrediting military leadership and said the time would come for an apology.
Around 65 F-16s have been pledged by Nato countries since US President Joe Biden first authorised willing European allies to send them to Ukraine in August 2023.
Mr Zelensky has dismissed several military commanders since Russia launched its full-scale invasion in February 2022.
In February this year, he sacked the commander-in-chief of the country's armed forces, Valerii Zaluzhnyi.
And in June, he dismissed Lt Gen Yuriy Sodol after public criticism of excessive casualties and accusations of incompetence.
Latest Stories
-
Zoomlion launches fumigation exercise across 14 MMDAs in Western Region
7 minutes -
UTAG-KNUST votes to retain elections for Pro-Vice Chancellors and Deans
12 minutes -
Newsfile to discuss nationwide blackouts, GoldBod controversy, galamsey and water quality
15 minutes -
Adamus must settle GRA, MIIF and financial institutions liabilities under new turnaround roadmap
35 minutes -
Big Chef Season Five returns with Gari Fotor Challenge this Sunday
46 minutes -
Gov’t to form 6-member team to supervise Adamus mine turnaround
57 minutes -
Wontumi is not Mandela, NPP must be realistic about chairmanship bid – Musa Danquah
59 minutes -
Government gives Adamus Resources reprieve, orders 12-month turnaround plan
1 hour -
Road Ministry to report two people to EOCO for influencing property owners affected by road constructions
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Kadjebi-Asato SHS holds off Ahantaman Girls’ SHS to book one-eighth spot
2 hours -
The Law 101: A critique of the injunction ruling for trials in the legal vacation
2 hours -
Don’t be an agent of misinformation — Opoku Mensah warns Education Minister’s spokesperson
2 hours -
TanoBoase Sacred Grove: Dzifa Gomashie pledges year-end commissioning as eco-tourism gem awaits revival
2 hours -
AK24 Entertainment makes history with sold-out ‘R2Bees Live in Ohio’ concert
2 hours -
NPP acting lawlessly by allowing Wontumi to pursue chairmanship – Rashid Tanko
2 hours