President of Breast Care International, Dr. Mrs. Beatrice Wiafe Addai has appealed to government to include breast cancer screening in the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS).
According to Dr. Mrs. Wiafe Addai many women are dying of breast cancer because of late detection.
The only solution to this canker, she noted, is by making the clinical screening of breast cancer free of charge.
The breast cancer advocate revealed this while educating women at the Donewell Society Methodist Church at New Fadama in Accra.
She said the real concern was that most patients reported to health facilities with advanced cancer cases rather too late, when much could not be done.
“The NPP in its manifesto promised to make the screening for breast cancer free so we will continue to remind government to fulfill that promise,” she added.
The breast surgeon disclosed that about 1,000 women are diagnosed with cancer annually and most of them lost their lives because, they report to the hospitals very late.
She indicated that though government had put in place measures, which outlined the key strategies for the control of cancers in Ghana that is yet to materialize.
Dr. Wiafe Addai, also the Chief Executive Officer of the Peace and Love Hospitals said many women will be saved if the cost for the clinical screening for breast cancer is borne by government.
Have your say
More Lifestyle Headlines
- No more sleeping sickness; experts embrace Fexinidazole pill
- A common struggle: Living with the fear of fears
- How your diet causes body odour
- Are you micro-cheating on your significant other?
- USAID launches new neglected disease control program in West Africa
- This is why you should never share your passwords with your partner
- How many times a week should you run?
- Low-carb diets may work by boosting calorie burn
- Goodbye 'gluten-free'? Celiac disease vaccine may make it possible
- How to stop comparing your relationship to others
- Health Director orders killing of Keta stray dogs
- Take charge of your health with these easy tips
- 10 awkward money scenarios to avoid on a date
- 'Can I forgive him? – How I discovered my husband’s sex obsession'
- Men with these 10 traits make the strongest, most valuable partners